Filtration and choice of solvent

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where the speaker needs to filter out a solid precipitate from an unknown solvent. They have a Büchner funnel but need a solvent to rinse the solid with. The speaker has questions about whether they need to identify the solvent before filtering and if they can use a mixture of solvents to rinse the solid. Another person suggests using a syringe filter or decanting the mixture carefully, but the speaker mentions they do not have those options available. A suggestion is made to use a solvent with a common ion to the precipitate.
~christina~
Gold Member
Another seemingly simple issue that I've never really had to think about before until now.

Say, I have to filter out a solid precipitate that I see in a limited amount of unknown solvent.

I have a Büchner funnel, but I need to have a solvent to rinse the solid with.

Questions I have about this
1. If I don't know what solvent it is, do I have to find out what it is before I filter out the
solid? (i.e. using GC)

2. If I have to find out the solvent through GC (I have to do this anyway) before I filter out
the solid, and the mixture consists of more than one solvent, do I have to mix the
solvents that are in the mixture and use that to rinse the solid through the filter with?

Thank you,
~christina~

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If all you are doing is a GC analysis, why don't you just use a syringe filter and be done with it? Or centrifuge and carefully decant with an eppendorf pipette?

chemisttree said:
If all you are doing is a GC analysis, why don't you just use a syringe filter and be done with it? Or centrifuge and carefully decant with an eppendorf pipette?
We don't have syringe filters at our disposal. They have just advised us today to decant the solid out and evaporate the solvent.

Thank you for your help,
chemisttree

i'd tell you to choose a solvent that does have a common ion with your precipitate..as example if you have AgCl you would use AgNO3 with it...and so on

Last edited:

Related to Filtration and choice of solvent

1. What is filtration and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Filtration is a process used to separate solid particles from a liquid or gas mixture. It is important in scientific experiments because it allows for the isolation and purification of substances, which is crucial for accurate analysis and results.

2. How do I choose the right solvent for my experiment?

Choosing the right solvent for an experiment depends on several factors such as the solubility of the substance being dissolved, the desired properties of the final solution, and the stability of the solvent. It is important to research and consider these factors before selecting a solvent.

3. Can I reuse a solvent for multiple experiments?

In some cases, solvents can be reused for multiple experiments as long as they have not been contaminated or degraded. However, it is important to properly clean and store the solvent to maintain its purity and effectiveness.

4. What are some common types of filtration techniques?

There are several types of filtration techniques including gravity filtration, vacuum filtration, and centrifugal filtration. Each technique has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of experiments.

5. How do I determine the appropriate filtration method for my experiment?

The appropriate filtration method for an experiment depends on the properties of the substances being separated and the desired outcome. It is important to consider factors such as particle size, solubility, and time constraints when choosing a filtration method.