Filtering harmonics from a circuit containing square waves?

In summary, Fourier analysis of a square wave reveals that it is composed of infinite harmonics, with the highest harmonic frequency depending on the rise time of the square wave. The amplitudes of the higher harmonics are typically lower and can be filtered out using LC filters. In power electronics, inverters and motor drives often require waves with low harmonic content, which can be achieved by modulating the pulse width or using a quasi sine wave inverter.
hobbs125
Fourier analysis of a square wave shows that it is made up of sine waves which are harmonics of the square wave.

What I am wondering is how far do these harmonics extend to? Are they all of the same amplitude? And, can specific harmonics be filtered using a series or parallel RC filter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hobbs125 said:
Fourier analysis of a square wave shows that it is made up of sine waves which are harmonics of the square wave.

What I am wondering is how far do these harmonics extend to?
For a perfect square wave, which jumps from one level to another in zero picoseconds, the harmonics extend to infinity. :smile:

Are they all of the same amplitude?
What do you think? Can the terms in the Fourier Series give any clue to this?

Theoretically the harmonics extend to infinite. But real square wave have finite rise time. Don't quote me on this, but I think the highest component has a frequency with period around 2.2 times the rise time of the square wave. Say if you have a square wave with rise time of 1nS, the highest harmonic frequency has a period of about 2.2nS which is like about 400MHz. The amplitudes of any harmonics higher than 400MHz is going to be much lower. Don 't quote on my exact number, but you should get what I am driving at.

Yes, you can use LC filter to get rid of the higher harmonics. RC is too flat. In fact, it is quite common to get a pure sine wave starting with a good square wave. It is not as easy as people think to generate a pure sine wave from oscillator, so might as well start with a square wave and filter it down. I did very critical design that need very pure sine wave and I started with square from a TTL crystal and then use a D flip flop to do a divide by two to get rid of the even harmonics.

It's practical to make fairly good sine waves from a square wave using a third or fifth order filter.
In power electronics, inverters and motor drives often require waves that have fairly low harmonic content to the fifth harmonic. Beyond that, motors don't object as much because their leakage inductance usually prevents the additional harmonics from causing much loss.

For the lower harmonics, the pulse width can be modulated, or the signal can be stepped. This is the idea behind the quasi sine wave inverter, which reduces the third harmonic by setting its output to "floating" between + output and - output swings.

Related to Filtering harmonics from a circuit containing square waves?

1. How do harmonics affect a circuit containing square waves?

Harmonics can cause distortion and interference in a circuit containing square waves. This can result in inaccurate signal readings and potential damage to components.

2. What is the purpose of filtering harmonics from a circuit containing square waves?

The purpose of filtering harmonics is to remove unwanted frequencies from the signal, ensuring that the circuit operates efficiently and accurately.

3. How do you identify and measure harmonics in a circuit containing square waves?

Harmonics can be identified by using an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyzer. These tools can measure the amplitude and frequency of the harmonics present in the circuit.

4. What are the common methods for filtering harmonics from a circuit containing square waves?

There are several methods for filtering harmonics, including using passive components such as capacitors and inductors, active filters using op-amps, and digital filters implemented through software.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to filtering harmonics from a circuit containing square waves?

Filtering harmonics can introduce phase shifts and alter the shape of the square wave signal. This can affect the accuracy of the signal and may require additional adjustments or calibration.