Filling the wheel with air (ideal gas)

In summary: M is molecular mass and RT1 and RT2 are the thermal resistances of the materials in the pump and tire, respectively. P1V1M = m1RT1M
songoku

Homework Statement

A wheel has volume 1.2 x 10-3 m3 when being full. A pump has working volume of 9 x 10-5 m3. How many times do you need to push the pump to fill the air to the wheel (initially there is no air in the wheel) until the pressure is 3.0 x 105 Pa? The atmospheric pressure is 1.0 x 105 Pa and there is no change in temperature

Homework Equations

PV/T = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my attempt is really really weird, but I'll post it anyway...

P1.V1 = P2.V2
1.0 x 105.V1 = 3.0 x 105 . 1.2 x 10-3
V1 = 3.6 x 10-3

ΔV = V1 - V2 = 2.4 x 10-3

Number of pumping = 2.4 x 10-3 / 9 x 10-5 = 80 / 3 ≈ 27 times

Actually, my idea is to find the initial volume of air in the wheel. The difference between the initial and final volume is the volume needed to be pumped to the wheel. But I think the final volume should be greater (my calculation shows the opposite). At the beginning, I take the pressure of the wheel the same as atmospheric pressure.

Another thing that bothers me is the sentence "initially there is no air in the wheel". It means the initial volume is zero ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Determine how much air (density*volume) is in the tire at specified pressure.

Last edited:
Hi. I have the same idea with you.
The volume of the wheel is 1,2E-3
The volume of the pump is 9E-5
The pressure requested on the wheel is 3E5 and
The output pressure of the air is 1E5
since the internal pressure have to be equal to the external pressure,
P1V1 = P2V2 and than
3E5*1,2E-3=1E5*V ==> from there we got V=3,6E-3 this have to be the volume of the pump to fill the wheel with air at just one push. However, our pump's volume is 9E-5 so we need to divide it.
(3,6E-3)/(9E-5)=40 That means we have to push our pump for 40 times to obtain the result.
I think you do not need to make any substraction since it says the wheel is initially empty.

LawrenceC said:
Hint:

Determine how much air (density*volume) is in the tire at specified pressure.

At P = 1.0 x 105, the volume is 3.6 x 10-3. Taking density of air = 1 kg m-3, the mass is 3.6 x 10-3 kg

AT P = 3.0 x 105, the volume is 1.2 x 10-3 so the mass is 1.2 x 10-3 kg

Then what should I do?

parazit said:
Hi. I have the same idea with you.
The volume of the wheel is 1,2E-3
The volume of the pump is 9E-5
The pressure requested on the wheel is 3E5 and
The output pressure of the air is 1E5
since the internal pressure have to be equal to the external pressure,
P1V1 = P2V2 and than
3E5*1,2E-3=1E5*V ==> from there we got V=3,6E-3 this have to be the volume of the pump to fill the wheel with air at just one push. However, our pump's volume is 9E-5 so we need to divide it.
(3,6E-3)/(9E-5)=40 That means we have to push our pump for 40 times to obtain the result.
I think you do not need to make any substraction since it says the wheel is initially empty.

3.6 x 10-3 is the volume at 1.0 x 105 Pa? How can that be the volume needed to be pumped to the wheel while the question states to find the number of pumping when the pressure is 3.0 x 105?

When the wheel is empty, is the pressure the same as atmospheric pressure?

Thanks

ohh..I think i misunderstand something. due to rush, it may be wrong. sorry for wasting your time.

Another hint:

Write an expression for the mass of air in the inflated tire. It will be a function of temperature and pressure. You do not know the temperature.

Write another expression for the mass of air in the pump cylinder at atmospheric pressure. It will be a function of temperature and pressure. You do not know the temperature.

The problem states the entire process is isothermal.

Last edited:
LawrenceC said:
Another hint:

Write an expression for the mass of air in the inflated tire. It will be a function of temperature and pressure. You do not know the temperature.

Write another expression for the mass of air in the pump cylinder at atmospheric pressure. It will be a function of temperature and pressure. You do not know the temperature.

The problem states the entire process is isothermal.

Not sure how to do it but here's what I've done:
*inflated tire
P1V1 = n1RT1 ; n = m/M where M is molecular mass
P1V1M = m1RT1
m = P1V1M / RT1 --> here the mass is the function of pressure, volume and temperature

*pump cylinder
got the same as above; m2 = P2V2M / RT2

Am I correct this far?

songoku said:
Not sure how to do it but here's what I've done:
*inflated tire
P1V1 = n1RT1 ; n = m/M where M is molecular mass
P1V1M = m1RT1
m = P1V1M / RT1 --> here the mass is the function of pressure, volume and temperature

*pump cylinder
got the same as above; m2 = P2V2M / RT2

Am I correct this far?

Yes, so far so good. Now you have an expression for the mass in the tire when inflated. You also have an expression for the mass that is delivered by a single pump stroke. You know the process is isothermal...

LawrenceC said:
Yes, so far so good. Now you have an expression for the mass in the tire when inflated. You also have an expression for the mass that is delivered by a single pump stroke. You know the process is isothermal...
m1 = P1V1M / RT1
1 / T1 = m1 R / P1 V1 M

m2 = P2V2M / RT2
1 / T2 = m2 R / P2 V2 M

Isothermal : T1 = T2
m1 R / P1 V1 M = m2 R / P2 V2 M

m1 / P1 V1 = m2 / P2 V2

Is P1 = 3 x 105 , V1 = 1.2 x 10-3 , P2 = 1.0 x 105 , V2 = 3.6 x 10-3 ?

If yes, the number of pumping = m1 / m2 and I got 40 as the answer

Your answer is correct but you typed

"V2 = 3.6 x 10-3"

when it should have been

V2=9.0 x 10-5

Related to Filling the wheel with air (ideal gas)

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to filling the wheel with air?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. When filling a wheel with air, the ideal gas law helps us understand how changes in pressure, volume, and temperature affect each other.

2. What is the purpose of filling a wheel with air?

Filling a wheel with air helps to maintain proper tire pressure, which is essential for safe and efficient driving. It also helps to support the weight of the vehicle and provides a cushion for a smoother ride.

3. How much air should I fill in my wheel?

The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle can usually be found on a sticker inside the driver's side door or in the owner's manual. It is important to follow this recommendation to ensure proper handling, fuel efficiency, and tire longevity.

4. Can I use any type of gas to fill my wheel?

No, it is important to only use clean, dry, and compressed air to fill your wheel. Other gases, such as oxygen or nitrogen, may alter the pressure and affect the performance of the tire.

5. How often should I check and fill my wheel with air?

It is recommended to check your tire pressure at least once a month and before long trips. Tire pressure can decrease over time due to temperature changes and normal wear and tear, so it is important to regularly check and fill your tires to the recommended pressure.