Who are the Best Physicists of All Time?

• Thread starter Wolfgang77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the best physicist of all time. While there are many great physicists, the top contenders are generally considered to be Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton. Some argue that Stephen Hawking is overrated, while others point out his incredible intelligence and contributions to the field despite his physical limitations. Other notable names mentioned include Peter Lynds, Edward Witten, and Werner Heisenberg. Overall, the conversation highlights the various perspectives and factors that contribute to determining the best physicist.
Wolfgang77
My pick for the best physicist would be Einstein. Peter Lynds gets most brilliant up and commer, and Steven Hawking gets most over rated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Wolfgang77
My pick for the best physicist would be Einstein. Peter Lynds gets most brilliant up and commer, and Steven Hawking gets most over rated.

Hawking overrated, heh. I don't know if that's possible really.

Einstein is certainly the "best". He rewrote alot, and first discovered alot. Newton would have to be second.

Let's face it, if Hawking wasn't handicaped he probably wouldn't get so much attention.

Peter Lynds appears to be overrated because he has not got a physics university education.

Many people confuse intelligence with formal education. Einstein did much of his impressive work while working as a clerk in a patent office, a job he had to take because he couldn't get a position anywhere as a scientist.

Originally posted by plus
Peter Lynds appears to be overrated because he has not got a physics university education.

some people may not have heard of him
here's a New Zealand newspaper article about Lynds

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2490785a11,00.html [Broken]

it is risky to bet on "up and comers" in any category

I would first ask a question about the currently most active
and promising field of research in physics---
and then look for creative individuals in that field.
that way I would come up with the names of living
physicists likely to be remembered 50 odd years
from now as having done landmark work
There arent many I can think of!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try looking at the nobel prize winners - although they are more likely to be experimentalists.

1.Einstein 2. Sir Issaac Newton

Originally posted by Turtle
1.Einstein 2. Sir Issaac Newton

Yeah, Newton and Einstein certainly take the cake.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist

Let's face it, if Hawking wasn't handicaped he probably wouldn't get so much attention.

how much do you think ALS affects his ability to think? if not directly, i'd be willing to bet it affects his mind in other ways.

besides, he's propably got better grammar and language skills talking through that computer (i still have no idea how he can find words so quickly), and he's got an awesome chair. (if you have seen the simpsons episode he was in, i think you'd have to agree he needs to get that chair, with the propellors)

Sure, Einstein is probably the greatest scientist of all time. But the greatest living scientist (IMO) is Edward Witten.

http://pangaea.dhs.org/school/hist82/gallery/ae66.jpg

In that site, is a picture of my favorite Scientists of all time.

Although this is a "best Physicist topic". I have to say that I think all Physicist are great in many ways. Were all different minds focusing on Mathematical Physics. But to answer the topic, "Albert Einstein" and "Richard Feynmann" would be the best IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Thumbs up!

Originally posted by RSM1000
Yeah, Newton and Einstein certainly take the cake.

They got my vote!

In significance I think that Heisenberg rates highly. I really see him as the father of QM. QM is then argued to be the most successful theory in the history of science. Of course, the paradigm change brought on by Einstein already permeates our culture in areas of art, religion, and literature to name a few, in addition of course the scientific point of view. How casually we now discuss concepts like time dilation, singularities, wormholes, and even time machines. Hmmm. I shall employ the principle of superposition:

I vote for Heisenstein!

Originally posted by Wolfgang77

that's a little harsh for mr. hawking,don't you think? besides you're forgeting feynnman!

1. Who is considered the greatest physicist of all time?

The greatest physicist of all time is a highly debated topic and opinions may vary. Some of the most commonly mentioned names are Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Galileo Galilei.

2. What did Isaac Newton contribute to the field of physics?

Isaac Newton is known for his laws of motion and universal gravitation, which revolutionized the understanding of mechanics and gravity. He also made significant contributions to optics and calculus.

3. How did Albert Einstein impact the field of physics?

Albert Einstein is most famous for his theory of relativity, which changed the way we understand space and time. He also made groundbreaking contributions to quantum mechanics and the photoelectric effect.

4. Who is the first female physicist to win a Nobel Prize?

Marie Curie is the first female physicist to win a Nobel Prize. She won two Nobel Prizes, one in Physics and one in Chemistry, for her groundbreaking work on radioactivity.

5. What is the significance of the Large Hadron Collider in modern physics?

The Large Hadron Collider is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is used to study the fundamental particles and forces in the universe, and has played a crucial role in discoveries such as the Higgs boson and dark matter.