Fill out the Truth Table for the following specification.

In summary, the truth table for the given specification is as follows:y2 y1 y0 | f0 0 0 | 00 0 1 | 00 1 0 | 10 1 1 | 11 0 0 | 11 0 1 | 11 1 0 | 11 1 1 | 1
shamieh
Fill out the truthe table for the following specification. Given a system with 3 inputs(y2,y1,y0) and a single output (f), where Y = y2,y1,y0 represents a 3 bit unsigned integer (Y is the decimal equivalent), determine the truth table for f such that f = 1 if and only if 1 < Y <= 6 (Y is greater than 1 and less than or equal to 6).

• y2 y1 y0 | f
  • 0 0 0 |
  • 0 0 1 |
  • 0 1 0 |
  • 0 1 1 |
  • 1 0 0 |
  • 1 0 1 |
  • 1 1 0 |
  • 1 1 1 |

How in the world am I supposed to evaluate this? I am so confused.

Technology news on Phys.org
Do you know how to convert binary numbers to decimals? The truth table lists 8 3-bit binary numbers (the decimal equivalents are from 0 to 7), and you need to write 1 next to those numbers that are greater than 1 and less than or equal to 6.

would my answer be..$f$

The required inequality 1 < Y ≤ 6 is strict only on one side. The number of different Y's satisfying it is 6 - 1 = 5.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The required inequality 1 < Y ≤ 6 is strict only on one side. The number of different Y's satisfying it is 6 - 1 = 5.

So I'm missing a 1 then - correct?

so my 7th row or [6th row ] whatever you'd like to call it; should be a 1 as well because I didn't account for <= 6. and 2^1 + 2^2 = 6; 6 <= 6 = 1

shamieh said:
so my 7th row or [6th row ] whatever you'd like to call it; should be a 1 as well because I didn't account for <= 6. and 2^1 + 2^2 = 6; 6 <= 6 = 1
Yes.

Related to Fill out the Truth Table for the following specification.

What is a truth table?

A truth table is a visual representation of all possible inputs and outputs for a logical statement or system. It helps to determine the truth value of the statement under various conditions.

What is the purpose of filling out a truth table?

The purpose of filling out a truth table is to evaluate the validity of a logical statement or system and to determine the truth value of the statement under different conditions. It can also help to identify any potential errors in the statement.

What are the steps to fill out a truth table?

The steps to fill out a truth table are:

• Identify all the variables in the statement.
  • Assign all possible combinations of truth values (true or false) to the variables.
  • Apply the logical operators (AND, OR, NOT) to determine the truth value of the statement for each combination of truth values.
  • Fill out the truth table with the inputs and corresponding outputs.

How do I know if a statement is a tautology, contradiction, or contingency?

A tautology is a statement that is always true regardless of the truth values of its variables. This can be identified in a truth table by all rows having a truth value of true for the statement. A contradiction is a statement that is always false, which can be identified by all rows having a truth value of false. A contingency is a statement that is neither a tautology nor a contradiction, meaning there are some combinations of truth values that make the statement true and others that make it false.

Can a truth table be used for more complex statements?

Yes, a truth table can be used for any logical statement, no matter how complex. However, as the number of variables and combinations increases, the truth table can become very large and difficult to read. In such cases, other methods such as truth trees or logical equivalences may be more efficient.