Figuring sum of double bonds and rings ?

In summary, there are ways to determine the sum of double bonds and rings in a compound with the empirical formula C6H9BrO, such as using chemical analysis methods like NMR or MS. Spectroscopic analysis can also provide more information about the double bonds and rings. While attempting to determine the structure by trial and error, it is important to remember the different bonding rules and consult resources like chemical catalogues or databases for potential structures.
Huskies213
Figuring sum of double bonds and rings ??

Does anyone know how if there is a way to figure out the sum of double bonds and rings of a compound C6H9BrO ?? Lost.. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This one came up in google :P

http://bioweb.ucr.edu/ChemMine/view.php?TYPE=1&i_id=1282592

Hard to come up with a structural formula from an empirical formula, that's why there are so many chemical analysis methods like NMR/MS.

Double bonds and rings behave differently in spectroscopic analysis, so that would reveal more.

I tried to guess the structure by trial and error heh, knowing some of the bonding rules, but i failed and consulted google, then kicked myself for not remembering the epoxy Oxy type bond.

Maybe there are other structures also, consult a chemical catalogue or database.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can provide some guidance on how to figure out the sum of double bonds and rings in a compound. First, we need to understand the structure of the compound C6H9BrO. This compound has 6 carbon atoms, 9 hydrogen atoms, 1 bromine atom, and 1 oxygen atom. From this information, we can determine that the compound has a molecular formula of C6H9BrO.

To determine the sum of double bonds and rings, we need to look at the Lewis structure of the compound. This will show us the number of double bonds and rings present in the molecule. A double bond is represented by two lines between two atoms, while a ring is represented by a circle.

After drawing the Lewis structure, we can count the number of double bonds and rings present. In the case of C6H9BrO, the Lewis structure shows that there are three double bonds and one ring present. Therefore, the sum of double bonds and rings in this compound is 4.

I hope this helps in figuring out the sum of double bonds and rings in a compound. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to a chemistry tutor or consult a chemistry textbook.

Related to Figuring sum of double bonds and rings ?

1. How do I determine the sum of double bonds and rings in a molecule?

To determine the sum of double bonds and rings in a molecule, you will need to count the number of double bonds and rings present in the structure. A double bond is represented by a line between two atoms, while a ring is a closed loop of atoms. Add the number of double bonds and rings together to get the total number.

2. What is the significance of the sum of double bonds and rings in a molecule?

The sum of double bonds and rings in a molecule can provide information about the stability and reactivity of the molecule. Generally, a higher number of double bonds and rings can make a molecule more stable and less reactive.

3. How does the sum of double bonds and rings affect the physical properties of a molecule?

The sum of double bonds and rings can affect the physical properties of a molecule by influencing its shape, polarity, and intermolecular forces. For example, molecules with more double bonds and rings tend to be more rigid and less soluble in polar solvents.

4. Can the sum of double bonds and rings be used to predict the chemical properties of a molecule?

While the sum of double bonds and rings can provide some insight into the stability and reactivity of a molecule, it is not the only factor that determines its chemical properties. Other factors such as functional groups, electronegativity, and molecular size also play a role in determining the chemical properties of a molecule.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of counting double bonds and rings in a molecule?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. In some cases, a double bond may be delocalized or spread out over multiple atoms, making it more difficult to count. Additionally, certain molecules may contain aromatic rings, which have a unique structure and are not counted in the same way as regular rings.