Figuring out the Picasa.ini date format

• Thread starter martix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format
In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with understanding the date format used in the Picasa.ini files for a program called Picasa. They want to create multiple files with this format using a program, rather than manually doing it. The format appears to be similar to the one used in OpenOffice and Excel, with the digits to the left representing the number of days since 12/30/1899 and the digits to the right representing the time. A link is provided for more information and code to convert dates between numbers and the mm/dd/yy forms.
martix
I have this image organization program called Picasa. It uses hidden .ini files in each directory it monitors to set some settings. I am interested in the date setting.
I need to figure out what the Picasa.ini date format is, so I can create a ton of such files with a little 5-minute-to-code program, instead of doing it by hand for an hour.
Can anyone help out?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It would be a good idea to post an example of the date format you're referring to.

Well I doubt it would become clear from a few examples, but it generally looks like date=43243.546435 - 5 digits then a dot and six more.
Say 30/6/2001 is date=37072.672245
and 20/8/2001 is date=37128.691157

Last edited:
The example values you posted, are they the actual values corresponding to the dates you provided, or something you randomly created for the sake of an example?

The encoding doesn't look standard, at least i haven't come across it before. It may be the number of miliseconds since some date, such as January 1970, or some function of that value.

From the example you posted it looks to me like it is measuring the number of days starting at some reference date.

The picasa.ini date format appears to be the same as used in the openoffice spreadsheet and probably excel. The digits to the left of the decimal point are the number of days since 12/30/1899 and the digits to the right represent the time.
Here is a http://www.codeproject.com/KB/datetime/exceldmy.aspx?print=true" to more information about the format and some code to convert dates between numbers and the mm/dd/yy forms.

The link: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/datetime/exceldmy.aspx?print=true

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Figuring out the Picasa.ini date format

1. What is the Picasa.ini date format?

The Picasa.ini date format is a specific way of representing dates used by the photo organizing software Picasa. It is a combination of numbers and letters that follows the format: YYYYMMDD_hhmmss_xxxx.

2. How can I figure out the Picasa.ini date format?

To figure out the Picasa.ini date format, you can use a date converter tool or manually convert the numbers and letters to a recognizable date format. Alternatively, you can also check the Picasa.ini file itself as it may contain a key that explains the date format.

3. Why is it important to figure out the Picasa.ini date format?

Figuring out the Picasa.ini date format is important for organizing and managing photos in Picasa. It allows users to understand the dates associated with their photos and sort them accordingly. It also helps with troubleshooting and identifying any issues with the dates of photos in Picasa.

4. Are there any variations in the Picasa.ini date format?

Yes, there can be variations in the Picasa.ini date format depending on the settings and preferences of the user. Some users may have their Picasa set to display dates in a different format, which can affect the Picasa.ini date format.

5. Can I change the Picasa.ini date format?

No, the Picasa.ini date format is a fixed format and cannot be changed. However, users can change the way dates are displayed in Picasa by adjusting the software's settings. This will not change the Picasa.ini date format, but it will change how the dates are shown within the Picasa program.