Figuring out how to approach an electrostatics questioni

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to solve a problem involving three elementary particles of interest that are all at a unspecified initial distance from a relatively large nucleus. The nucleus is moving at a constant velocity and will not have any coulombic forces exerted on it, so the only way it can be moving at a constant velocity is if the sum of the gravitational forces applied on the nucleus is zero. The question author has to come up with a way to add in an electron into the mix such that the gravitational force that it exerts will also cancel out with the other gravitational forces so that the nucleus would be able to move at a constant velocity. Additionally, the question author has to conceptualize and draw a set-up for
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

[/B]
My problem is in figuring out how to solve number 22 through 23, particularly getting the set-up done.

hereugo.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's law of gravitation and coulomb's law of acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I initially misread the question and thought that there was "a neutron and a proton initially at the same distance from a relatively large nucleus moving at a constant velocity."

OK. The nucleus moving at the constant velocity will not have any coulombic forces exerted on it because it has a neutral charge on it, so the only way it can be moving at a constant velocity is if the sum of the gravitational forces applied on the nucleus is zero. This fits perfectly into my scenario with just a proton and neutron: having a proton and a neutron of equal masses at the same distance on the opposite sides of the moving nucleus

PROTON <------------------ distance "D" -----------> Nucleus moving upwards <--------------------distance "D"-----------> Stationary neutron.

This would ensure that the gravitational forces that are applied onto the moving neutron would cancel each other out laterally and the neutron would move at a constant velocity. However, how can I add in an electron into this mix such that the gravitational force that it exerts will also cancel out with the other gravitational forces so that the nucleus would be able to move at a constant velocity?

And how would I conceptualize and draw a set-up for this problem so as to get started in solving the rest of the problems?

Thanks in advance for the help. It is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The question's setup is flawed as it claims that the nucleus is both stationary and moving. We cannot ascribe the constant velocity to all three of the elementary particles because the Coulombic force interactions will accelerate at least two of them. So we have to conclude that the question author meant for the relatively large nucleus to be moving at a constant velocity and massive enough that any acceleration it feels as a result of interacting with the elementary particles of interest will be negligible.

RoboNerd said:
OK. The nucleus moving at the constant velocity will not have any coulombic forces exerted on it because it has a neutral charge on it, so the only way it can be moving at a constant velocity is if the sum of the gravitational forces applied on the nucleus is zero.
You might want to rethink that. The nuclei of atoms are all positively charged, being comprised of (essentially) protons and neutrons; It's this positive charge that is responsible for attracting and holding electrons to the atom. I think we can completely ignore external gravitational forces here as no outside masses or gravitational fields were given. A large nucleus (like that of a gold atom for example) might have the mass of a couple of hundred protons or neutrons.

So you have a large positively charged nucleus coasting along at a constant velocity and three comparatively light particles all at some same unspecified initial distance. The object of the question is for you to determine the relative effects of any forces acting between the nucleus and the individual particles.

We will have a force of repulsion between the proton and the nucleus and an equal force of attraction between the nucleus and the electron. No electrostatic charge between the nucleus and the neutron exists.

Thus we have the set up with the nucleus being pushed towards the electron as we have a spatial orientation of the particles being (I am trying to use the text to "draw" my visualization of this")

proton
----
nucleus ----------- neutron
----
electronwith the nucleus going downwards towards the electron.

Thus for 22, the answer is C as the electron be the first particle the nucleus hits.

23) will be D as both the proton and the neutron have the same charges, so the different coulombic forces will be the same.

24) the electron will experience the greatest acceleration as it has the same of the coulombic forces and the least mass. Am I right in my answers/approaches? Thanks!

Your results are fine (although you mixed up electron and neutron in your description for #23).

All righty! Thanks for the help!

Related to Figuring out how to approach an electrostatics questioni

1. What is electrostatics and why is it important?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges and their interactions. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges, which is essential in many fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

2. How do I approach an electrostatics question?

When approaching an electrostatics question, it is important to first identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles to solve the problem step by step. Draw diagrams and use visual aids to better understand the situation.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving electrostatics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to consider the direction of the electric field or charges, failing to take into account the effects of conductors and insulators, and using incorrect equations or formulas. It is important to carefully read the question and double check your calculations.

4. How can I prepare for electrostatics questions on an exam?

To prepare for electrostatics questions on an exam, it is helpful to practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with common equations and principles. Make sure to review your notes and class materials, and seek help from your teacher or peers if you have any doubts or questions.

5. What real-life applications does electrostatics have?

Electrostatics has many real-life applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, power generation and transmission, and medical imaging technology. It is also used in everyday objects such as hairdryers, printers, and photocopiers.