Figuring heat exchanger's surface temp

In summary, the question involves calculating the surface temperature of a heat exchanger used to heat a room, given the known power, room temperature, and heater surface area. The equation P = εσAT^4 has been attempted, but it is incorrect. The attempt at solving this problem using T = (P/σA)^0.25 has resulted in negative surface temperatures. It is suspected that the reported heating power may not be the actual total heating power of the radiator.
TuomasO

Homework Statement

Calculate surface temp of heat exchanger when it's heating the room with the known power of P. Room temperature T is also known, as is the heater surface area A. ε ≈ 1.

Homework Equations

P = εσAT^4 is what I've been trying to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve this with T = (P/σA)^0.25, but that's giving me negative surface temps which clearly can't be correct. I'm guessing the reported heating power P can't be the actual total heating power of the radiator, but I haven't been able to figure out how to go at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is not correct. If the heater radiating heat to the room, then the room is also heat to the heater.

Related to Figuring heat exchanger's surface temp

What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers thermal energy between two or more fluids with different temperatures. It is commonly used in industrial processes and HVAC systems to regulate the temperature of a space or to transfer heat from one medium to another.

Why is it important to figure out the heat exchanger's surface temperature?

The heat exchanger's surface temperature is important because it can affect the efficiency and performance of the device. If the surface temperature is too high, it can cause damage to the heat exchanger and potentially lead to system failure. On the other hand, if the surface temperature is too low, it may not be able to effectively transfer heat between the fluids.

What factors can affect the heat exchanger's surface temperature?

There are several factors that can affect the heat exchanger's surface temperature, including the flow rate and temperature of the fluids, the type of heat exchanger, and the material and design of the heat exchanger. Other external factors such as ambient temperature and insulation can also play a role.

How is the heat exchanger's surface temperature calculated?

The heat exchanger's surface temperature can be calculated using various equations and mathematical models, depending on the type of heat exchanger and the specific conditions. Generally, the surface temperature is determined by considering the heat transfer rate, surface area, and thermal properties of the fluids and the heat exchanger materials.

Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when working with heat exchangers?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when working with heat exchangers. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper ventilation, and following manufacturer instructions and recommended maintenance procedures. It is also important to be aware of the potential hazards of working with hot fluids and high temperatures.