Figureing fps of a projectile with points of impact at 50yards and 25 yards

In summary: I can try to get that for you if you want. In summary, the ballistic coefficient for the bullet is .205 and the feet per second is around 1300.
cramerklontz

Homework Statement

So. I'm a muzzleloader hunter. If my rifle has a sight height of .85 inches. and groups at 25yards are 1.5 inches above 0 and groups at 50 yards are 2.5 inches above 0. The bullet I'm using has a ballistic coefficient of .205. The bullet weight is 240 grains. Is it possible to calculate this with only 2 points of impact? What is the feet per second?

Homework Equations

I have no clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I was plugging numbers into a ballistic calculator and couldn't get a good result.

This information is important because a fps that is too high will lead to poor bullet performance on the target.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the bullet still rising at 50 yards or is it falling by then? Also if the ballistic coefficient is .205, what is the drag coefficient? I have a program that will solve this problem but I need drag coefficient. The program I have will also compute the drag coefficient but it is for modern bullets. Drag coefficients are functions of bullet speed. Let me know and I'll try to help.

You can purchase a chronograph for around $70. I have one.

The bullet is a 240grain hornady xtp in .44 cal. I was hoping to not have to buy a chronograph, but I do want one. And yes I believe the bullet is still rising at 50. from what I've read on the internet its going anywhere from 1600 to 2200 fps

That bullet is a hollow point that is not pointed. I do not have drag coefficients for that. I've been playing around with my program input using spitzer point drag data. When I come close to matching your two data points, my velocity is too low. This is because my drag coefficient splines are for spitzer points which have a lower coefficient. I don't have the curve fits for your bullet profile.

Related to Figureing fps of a projectile with points of impact at 50yards and 25 yards

1. How do you calculate the fps of a projectile with points of impact at 50 yards and 25 yards?

The fps (feet per second) of a projectile can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled (in feet) by the time it took to travel that distance (in seconds). In this case, you would measure the distance between the points of impact (50 yards = 150 feet, 25 yards = 75 feet) and divide it by the time it took for the projectile to travel that distance. Make sure to use consistent units for distance and time.

2. What factors can affect the fps of a projectile?

The fps of a projectile can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as temperature and altitude can also have an impact on the fps of a projectile.

3. How accurate is the calculation of fps for a projectile?

The accuracy of the calculation for fps of a projectile depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken and the assumptions made about the projectile's behavior. Factors such as air resistance and gravity can introduce some degree of error, but with precise measurements and proper calculations, the estimated fps should be fairly accurate.

4. Can the fps of a projectile be altered after it has been launched?

The fps of a projectile cannot be altered after it has been launched, as it has already been affected by external forces and factors. However, it is possible to adjust the initial velocity or angle of launch to control the fps of the projectile.

5. How can knowing the fps of a projectile be useful?

Knowing the fps of a projectile can be useful in a variety of scenarios, such as hunting, target shooting, and sports. It can help determine the accuracy and range of a projectile, as well as inform decisions on adjustments to the launch angle or velocity for better performance.