Antibiotics linked to huge rise in allergies

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rise
In summary, the increasing use of antibiotics may be responsible for the rising rates of asthma and allergies. By upsetting the body's normal balance of gut microbes, antibiotics may prevent our immune system from distinguishing between harmless chemicals and real attacks. This could lead to increased rates of asthma and allergies in kids who are in daycare, as they may be exposed to more germs and parasites. However, breastfeeding and not introducing too many milk allergens to a child's underdeveloped immune system may be protective.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995047"

The increasing use of antibiotics to treat disease may be responsible for the rising rates of asthma and allergies. By upsetting the body's normal balance of gut microbes, antibiotics may prevent our immune system from distinguishing between harmless chemicals and real attacks.

"The microbial gut flora is an arm of the immune system," says Gary Huffnagle at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbour. His research group has provided the first experimental evidence in mice that upsetting the gut flora can provoke an allergic response.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995047"

Previously clean house holds and diet were blamed, where people growing up in a farm are less likely to develop asthma. This is the first experimental confirmation that antibiotics in fact play a role too. I guess you need to drink a lot of bacterial fortified yoghurts after an antibiotic treatment to reestablish a healthy microflora :)

Did anyone hear about how worms have been show to aleviate symptoms of inflamatory bowel disease? Apparently we don't carry enough parasites with us either.. They recently have started clinical trials on humans, giving them worm eggs to eat.. also a good thing to combat obesity :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
It's probably why kids who are in daycare also have far fewer asthma and allergy problems versus those who stay at home in a squeeky clean environment. (In a New england journal study in 2000 http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/deanfulltexttopics.cfm?ID=40243&storytype=DeanTopics [Broken]) due to the exposure to germs and other kids dirt. However, since these kids also get sick a lot and get antibiotics prescribed inappropriatly, I wonder how this confounding variable doesn't affect the study results since it would go against what you stated (I'd have to look at the study carefully). There have been other studies that show increased rate of asthma in kids who are in daycare before 4 months of age ( I assume it's due to acquiring RSV infections etc is higher and residual after effects include asthma)
Also, breast feeding in the first three months of the child's life seems to be protective since we aren 't presenting too many milk allergens to the child's underdeveloped immune system and digestive tract. My daughter is protected hopefullly since I breast fed her 9 months and my husband can't stand staying indoors has her out playing in (and therefore eating dirt) all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing this interesting and concerning information. It is certainly alarming to hear that the use of antibiotics may be contributing to the rise in allergies. It is important for us to continue researching and understanding the effects of antibiotics on our bodies, including the disruption of our gut flora. The idea of using worm eggs to treat inflammatory bowel disease is intriguing and I look forward to hearing more about the results of the clinical trials. It's fascinating how our modern lifestyle and medical practices may be impacting our health in unexpected ways.

1. What is the link between antibiotics and allergies?

Research has shown that the overuse of antibiotics can disrupt the balance of bacteria in our bodies, leading to a weakened immune system and an increased risk of developing allergies.

2. How do antibiotics affect our immune system?

Antibiotics not only target harmful bacteria, but they also kill off beneficial bacteria in our bodies. This can weaken our immune system and make us more susceptible to developing allergies.

3. Can antibiotics directly cause allergies?

No, antibiotics do not directly cause allergies. However, they can contribute to the development of allergies by altering the balance of bacteria in our bodies.

4. Are certain types of antibiotics more likely to cause allergies?

Some research suggests that broad-spectrum antibiotics, which target a wide range of bacteria, may have a stronger impact on our immune system and increase the risk of developing allergies. However, more studies are needed to fully understand this relationship.

5. Is there a way to prevent the development of allergies linked to antibiotics?

The best way to prevent allergies linked to antibiotics is to use them only when necessary and as prescribed by a doctor. Additionally, maintaining a healthy and diverse gut microbiome through a balanced diet and probiotic supplements may help support our immune system and reduce the risk of developing allergies.

Back