Calculating Tension Forces: A Beginner's Guide to Physics

In summary, the person is seeking help with their physics homework and is advised to post specific problems in the Homework Help Zone. They are also reminded to include their own thoughts on how to solve the problems. The person thanks the expert for their advice and mentions they are new to the site.
barbieprincess87
ok so I am taking physics and have NO clue whatsoever what we are doing... how do you calculate the tension forces using acceleration an free body diagrams?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi barbieprincess,

You should post calls for homework help in the Homework Help Zone, available on the site's main page.

Also, there really isn't enough information in what you've said -- tensions and accelerations -- for anyone to actually be able to help you.

Why don't you post some specific problems that you have been unable to solve, along with your thoughts on how to solve them? We'll try to help you through their solutions.

- Warren

thanks!

ok thank you! I am new to the site and i don't know what I am doing. i just need some help! ill try the homework help section and post the problem. thanks again!

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched by two opposing forces acting in opposite directions.

2. How do you calculate tension force?

To calculate tension force, you need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity. Once you have this information, you can use the formula F = m x a, where F is the tension force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What are some examples of tension force?

Some examples of tension force include a rope being pulled by two people in a game of tug of war, a rubber band being stretched, and a cable holding up a suspended object.

4. How does the angle of a rope affect tension force?

The angle of a rope does not affect tension force. Tension force only depends on the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can tension force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, tension force can be greater than the weight of an object. This can happen when the object is being accelerated or when multiple tension forces are acting on the object in different directions.