LANCET backfiles now available freely

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the LANCET backfiles, which contain over 200 years of medical research and literature, are now available for free to the public. This collection includes groundbreaking studies and discoveries that have shaped the field of medicine and impacted global health. Researchers and healthcare professionals can now access these valuable resources without any cost, making it easier to advance their knowledge and improve patient care. This move by LANCET marks a significant step towards open access to important medical information.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the first time in medical history, researchers and scholars
across the globe have the ability to search a historical archive
of over 340,000 articles dating from THE LANCET'S inception in
1823. THE LANCET Backfiles are now available on ScienceDirect as
fully searchable PDFs, supported by citations, abstracts and
references.

THE LANCET has published some of the first reports on such
groundbreaking medical research as:

- The first caesarian performed under anaesthesia
- Lister's antiseptic principle
- The value of penicillin
- Heliobacter pylori
- HIV Transmission
- In-vitro fertilization
- Mad Cow disease
- SARS as a coronavirus

For more information on THE LANCET Backfiles visit:
http://www.info.sciencedirect.com/backfiles/collections/lancet/index.shtml

Biology news on Phys.org
cool.
Does this mean we can throw out all of the Lancet journals sitting on the shelves in the library I work in?

Well, i hope not, its really cool flicking through those 1850 journals and looking at the crazy letters those folk wrote back inthose days...

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they start a trend here!

Originally posted by Another God

Does this mean we can throw out all of the Lancet journals sitting on the shelves in the library I work in?

They do in at my faculty library, they only keep the last ten years of the lancet, but the major library of the university keeps everything. There actually people that do not that recent paper can be access through the net.

It cool that lancet has gone back to their beginning but it is a hell a work to scan millions of pages. For the American society of microbiology (ASM) paper and many other publisher we have free access to the papers 6 months after their publish some it a year but they only go back to 1998-1996.

1. What are "LANCET backfiles"?

"LANCET backfiles" refer to the archives of the medical journal The Lancet, which contains articles, research, and other scientific content from its inception in 1823 until 1995.

2. Why are the "LANCET backfiles" now available freely?

The Lancet has made the decision to make their backfiles freely available in order to increase accessibility and promote the dissemination of scientific knowledge to a wider audience.

3. How can I access the "LANCET backfiles" for free?

The Lancet has partnered with multiple platforms such as PubMed Central and ScienceDirect to make the backfiles freely available. You can also directly access them on The Lancet's website.

4. What kind of content can be found in the "LANCET backfiles"?

The backfiles contain a wide range of scientific content such as articles, research papers, editorials, reviews, and letters on various medical and health-related topics.

5. Are the "LANCET backfiles" reliable sources of information?

Yes, The Lancet is a highly reputable and respected medical journal, and the backfiles contain peer-reviewed and scientifically sound content. However, it is always important to critically evaluate any source of information, including those found in the backfiles.

Back