Field strength between two wires

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the risk of flashover in electric fields and solving specific problems related to this concept. The solution involves using the rule of thumb of 1kV per mm to calculate the largest electric field between two leaders and the distance at which a spark can jump and potentially harm a person. The conversation also mentions the importance of insulation in preventing sparks from occurring.
Maria H
I feel like a stupied girl. :(
It think it's not very hard, but I have to have the correct answear before i send it to my school.

Homework Statement

We sometimes exposed to electric fields. To determine whether there is a risk of flashover is a rule of thumb which states that the sparks will switch if it is larger than the field strength of 1kV per mm, ie 1MV/m.

a) How big is the largest electric field between two leaders in a 230V-power line (peak voltage is 324V)? We assume that the distance between conductors is 2mm. Reply with a rounded integer. Answear in kV/m

b) If a person stands on a railway-wagon, an accident can happen if you come too close to the lead. If the voltage is 16kV, at which distance can a spark jump over and kill a person? The authority has a rules that says 270mm between the leaders at that voltage. Then you have gardening has objected to the management of moist air, etc.. Reply with a rounded integer.

c) If the insulation around a conductor to a coffee machine is damaged, at what distance from the leader can get a spark to turn over to a sink? Reply with two decimal places.

Homework Equations

E=U/d

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 324/0.002 =162000 =162kV/m I'm pretty right here :/

b) 16kV/1(kV/mm) = 16 mm
16mm according to the rule of thumb 1kV per mm. I don't see how I should take the rule of 270mm into considiration. It's obvioulsy a better distans..

c) 0.230V/1(kV/mm) = 0.23mm

Cheers/Maria

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) and (b) look good, though I don't understand the remark that "gardening has objected to the management of moist air, etc.." I have no idea what that means or how it enters into question (b).

For (c), if it's a 230 V line then the peak voltage is actually 325V. Otherwise, you have the right idea.

Related to Field strength between two wires

1. What is the formula for calculating the field strength between two wires?

The formula for calculating the field strength between two wires is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the distance between the wires affect the field strength?

The field strength between two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the field strength decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the unit of measurement for field strength?

The unit of measurement for field strength between two wires is tesla (T) or newton per ampere (N/A).

4. How does the direction of the current in the wires affect the field strength?

The direction of the current in the wires does not affect the field strength. The formula for calculating field strength takes into account the vector nature of the current and calculates the overall field strength regardless of the direction of the current.

5. What is the significance of the permeability of free space in the calculation of field strength?

The permeability of free space, denoted by μ0, is a fundamental constant that defines the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It plays a crucial role in the calculation of field strength between two wires and ensures that the resulting unit of measurement is in line with the International System of Units (SI).