Field of variable charge distribution over all space

In summary, the charge density of a plate of thickness dz, normal to the z axis, passing through the ordinate z is σ.
BenR

Homework Statement

A charge distribution has uniform density in the x-y directions and varies with z according to: ρ(z) = ρ0e−|z|/t

where ρ0 and t are constants.

(a) Find the potential V (z) and the electric field E(z)

(b) Sketch them clearly showing their behaviors in the regions |z| ≪ t and |z| ≫ t.

(c) In the region |z| ≫ t, the system should behave as if there were a uniform sheet of charge. Find the effective charge density σ.

Homework Equations

I am not certain I'm setting up the integral for the field correctly. This is what I've set up as the integrand (I'm doing this on my phone and will do my best to be clear).

1/4pi(epsilon naught)•(rho(z)•(z-z naught) dx dy dz)/(x^2+y^2+(z-z naught)^2)^(3/2).

This is all times z hat, and integrated from
-L to L, after which I will take the limits as L goes to infinity.

I have obviously discarded x and y hats, because the charge is uniform in those directions and the non- z components will cancel, but should contribute something in the z direction. The quantity raised to the three halves is the separation vector times the denominator of the unit vector r (only the z component of which survived in the numerator).

What I'm getting is a x/sqrt(x^2+(yz terms)), and factoring out a x from under the radical and taking x to positive and negative infinity I get 1.

Left over(ignoring constants in front) is rho(z) (z-znaught)dydz/(y^2+(z-znaught)^2)

Integrating over y, I get rho(z)•(z-znaught)•1/(z-znaught)•arctan (1/y) which when evaluated from negative to positive infinity gives me pi.

So now I'm left with an integral of just rho(z) with no terms for distance which seems strange.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I put my attempt above. Oops. At any rate, is this a sensible way to go about this? I suppose considering I'm essentially integrating over expanding spheres a term of pi makes sense, but I can't find any similar examples to corroborate my approach. I haven't attempted the second and third parts yet but who knows what that will yield. I'd appreciate any critique or suggestions regarding methodology or set up, whether my approach is yielding what looks like a correct answer or not (it seems somewhat cumbersome but maybe it just is). In the future I will try to actually format this on my phone.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not tried following your hard-won alphanumeric equations, but what I don't see is any reference to the field at a point from an infinite uniformly charged plate. That would seem to be a useful starting point.

I mean... That's what I'm getting basically. I'm left with rho(z)/epsilon, and rho(0) gives me a constant which would be the surface charge density for any plane normal to the z axis. So now integrating z over infinity should yield a sensible answer

BenR said:
I mean... That's what I'm getting basically. I'm left with rho(z)/epsilon, and rho(0) gives me a constant which would be the surface charge density for any plane normal to the z axis. So now integrating z over infinity should yield a sensible answer
Sorry, but I can't follow what you are saying there. It would be clearer if you would post your actual working.
What is the charge density of a plate of thickness dz, normal to the z axis, passing through the ordinate z?

Related to Field of variable charge distribution over all space

1. What is a field of variable charge distribution over all space?

A field of variable charge distribution over all space refers to the pattern of electric charge that exists throughout a given region of space. This field describes the strength and direction of the electric forces that act on charged particles within the space.

2. How is a field of variable charge distribution over all space measured?

A field of variable charge distribution over all space is measured using electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field at various points in the space. These lines are drawn based on the magnitude and direction of the electric forces acting on charged particles in the space.

3. What factors affect the strength and distribution of a field of variable charge distribution over all space?

The strength and distribution of a field of variable charge distribution over all space is affected by the amount and distribution of electric charge within the space, as well as the distance between the charges and the properties of the intervening medium.

4. How does a field of variable charge distribution over all space influence the behavior of charged particles?

The field of variable charge distribution over all space exerts electric forces on charged particles, causing them to accelerate and move in specific directions. The strength and direction of the field at a given point determines the magnitude and direction of the force acting on a charged particle at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of a field of variable charge distribution over all space?

A field of variable charge distribution over all space is important in a wide range of fields, such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy production. It is used in the design and operation of electronic circuits, antennas, and power systems, and plays a crucial role in understanding and controlling the behavior of charged particles in these systems.