April issue of Discover magazine

• Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
In summary: This dimensionless quantity is used in Magueijo's VSL theory to determine the varying speed of light.
kyle_soule
I have a question concerning the article, in the April issue of Discover magazine, on the varying speed of light [VSL] theory, theory being used very lightly.

My question is how João Magueijo got the dimensionless quantity

c/(ao/(hbar/Er)) = (8*л*eps o)/alpha

from using the Rydberg energy and Bohr radius to measure the speed of light.

My question is how he went from the Rydberg energy and Bohr radius to the dimensionless quantity, thanks for any help anybody has in clearing this up for me:smile:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9811/9811018.pdf
is his paper, from which my question is asked. First figure, second page, first column.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In his paper, Magueijo derives the dimensionless quantity by using a combination of the Rydberg energy, Bohr radius and Planck's constant. Specifically, he starts with the equation for the Rydberg energy: E_R = hcR/n^2 where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, R is the Rydberg constant, and n is an integer. He then substitutes in the value of the Rydberg constant (R = me^4/8ϵο^2h^3) and the expression for the Bohr radius (a_0 = 4πϵοhbar^2/me^2), which gives him the equation: E_R = (mc^2/8)(4πϵο/me^2)(h/a_0) He then rearranges the equation to give him the dimensionless quantity: c/(a_0/(hbar/E_R)) = (8λϵο)/α where λ is the fine structure constant and α is the electromagnetic coupling constant.

1. What is the theme of the April issue of Discover magazine?

The theme of the April issue of Discover magazine is "The Future of Science." This issue explores the cutting-edge research and technologies that are shaping the future of various fields of science.

2. What are some of the featured articles in the April issue of Discover magazine?

Some of the featured articles in the April issue of Discover magazine include "The Rise of Artificial Intelligence," "Exploring the Deep Sea with Robots," and "The Promise of Gene Editing."

3. Who are some of the scientists and experts interviewed in the April issue of Discover magazine?

The April issue of Discover magazine includes interviews with prominent scientists and experts such as Elon Musk, Jane Goodall, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

4. Are there any special sections or supplements included in the April issue of Discover magazine?

Yes, the April issue of Discover magazine includes a special section on climate change and a supplement on the latest advancements in space exploration.

5. How can I get a copy of the April issue of Discover magazine?

The April issue of Discover magazine can be purchased at most major bookstores or newsstands, or you can subscribe to the magazine online to receive a physical or digital copy each month.