Effects of a Vacuum: What Happens if Exposed?

In summary, decompression sickness is most likely if you are immediately exposed to a vacuum, such as in space.
Sociopath^e
What happens if a human was to be a immediately exposed to a vacuum, such as that in space? from what i understand they explode, due to the internal pressure having nothing to balance its force... but i may be wrong
who here knows the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinda like the bends (decompression sickness). Since the depth corresponding to 2 atmospheres pressure is approximately 10 meters below water's surface, the same effect (exploded lungs, nitrogen bubbles in the blood...) might occur to a diver immediately brought above water from there.

In the case of a vacuum, blood would find any opportunity to escape the body. I was lucky to survive.

hmm, so a kinda Anti-Bends
but nothing explosive then from the lack of pressure?

ah, well i was wondering if 2001 did it right, or Red Dwarf... (although it is silly trying to compare physics out of fiction)

Originally posted by Sociopath^e
ah, well i was wondering if 2001 did it right, or Red Dwarf... (although it is silly trying to compare physics out of fiction)

I timed Bowman's Emergency Hatch Entrance scene in 2001 on Laserdisk about four months ago after reading an article similar to the one Janus provided a link for.

From the moment the hatch of the pod opens to the moment Bowman pushes down a lever in Discovery to close the hatch on Discovery and initiate re-pressurization, it spanned about 9 seconds. Right on the money. I was impressed.

Last edited:

IIRC, the producers went to great lengths to get the Bowman sequence right. And Clarke would certainly have done his homework as he wrote the book.

It's important to remember that Clarke was trained as an engineer and some of his earlier stories turn on technical points ("Perturbation Theory" for example. It's nice to remember that that phrase and technique had a prehistory in celestial mechanics before the quantum field people got hold of it).

If you hold your breath and experience an explosive decompression, you'd probably blow your eardrums and maybe damage your lungs, but other than that, it takes longer for the bad things like boiling blood to happen.

Remember, pressure is pretty much pressure and 1 atmosphere is 35 feet of water - and people free dive deeper than that, taking only a few seconds to get there.

1. What is a vacuum and how does it affect objects?

A vacuum is an area or space that contains little or no matter, such as air. When objects are exposed to a vacuum, they experience a decrease in pressure and density, which can result in changes in their physical properties.

2. What happens to living organisms when exposed to a vacuum?

Living organisms, including humans, cannot survive in a vacuum because they require oxygen to breathe. In a vacuum, there is no oxygen, and the lack of pressure can also cause bodily fluids to boil and tissues to swell, leading to severe damage or death.

3. Can objects explode in a vacuum?

Yes, objects with high internal pressure, such as sealed containers or combustible materials, can potentially explode in a vacuum due to the decrease in external pressure. However, most objects will simply experience a decrease in size or volume.

4. How does the temperature of an object change in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, there is no medium for heat to transfer through, so objects will experience a decrease in temperature. This is because heat can only transfer through conduction, convection, or radiation, and without any matter present, these processes cannot occur.

5. Can a vacuum affect the behavior of liquids and gases?

Yes, liquids and gases behave differently in a vacuum compared to in normal atmospheric conditions. In a vacuum, liquids can boil at much lower temperatures due to the decrease in pressure, and gases can expand and fill a larger volume due to the lack of external pressure.