Field equations Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action

In summary, the speaker is struggling with the EGB action in six dimensions with no matter terms. They are unsure how to calculate the stress-energy tensor and are seeking guidance.
Nick2014
Hello everyone!
I have a "great" problem with EGB action. First of all, I'm used to work with potential and scalar field, but now I have the following action
##S=\int\sqrt{-g}\left(2\beta +R+\alpha GB\right)d^6 x##

where GB is the six-dimensional Gauss-Bonnet term, R is the scalar curvature and ##2\beta## is a cosmological constant. ##\alpha## is a coupling parameter. Well, I want to write Einstein equations, but I don't know how to calculate stress-energy tensor ##T##... Thanks in advance

Space news on Phys.org
Nick2014 said:
Hello everyone!
I have a "great" problem with EGB action. First of all, I'm used to work with potential and scalar field, but now I have the following action
##S=\int\sqrt{-g}\left(2\beta +R+\alpha GB\right)d^6 x##

where GB is the six-dimensional Gauss-Bonnet term, R is the scalar curvature and ##2\beta## is a cosmological constant. ##\alpha## is a coupling parameter. Well, I want to write Einstein equations, but I don't know how to calculate stress-energy tensor ##T##... Thanks in advance
See the derivation of the four-dimensional einstein field equations:
http://www.science20.com/standup_ph...d_equation_derivation_about_dozen_steps-90263

Basically, you add the matter action to the gravitational action above.

Thanks :) but in my case we are in six dim not four... Then, there is no matter terms... My professor says this...

Nick2014 said:
Thanks :) but in my case we are in six dim not four... Then, there is no matter terms... My professor says this...
If you're not going to have any matter terms, then you're not going to have a stress-energy tensor. The analog to the Einstein field equations without any matter action would have some terms related to spatial curvature set equal to zero.

Likes Nick2014
very thanks :)

Related to Field equations Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action

1. What is the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action?

The Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action is a mathematical expression used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of space-time. It is a combination of the Einstein-Hilbert action, which is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of space-time, and the Gauss-Bonnet term, which accounts for higher-order geometric effects.

2. How does the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action differ from the Einstein-Hilbert action?

The Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action differs from the Einstein-Hilbert action in that it takes into account higher-order geometric effects, such as the topology of space-time. This allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of space-time, particularly in situations where extreme curvature or high energies are involved.

3. What does the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action predict?

The Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action predicts the behavior of space-time in a variety of scenarios, including black holes, cosmological models, and string theory. It can also be used to investigate the effects of extreme gravitational fields and high energy densities.

4. How is the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action used in string theory?

In string theory, the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action is used to describe the behavior of the extra dimensions that are predicted by the theory. It is also used to study the interactions between these dimensions and the familiar four dimensions of space-time.

5. Are there any experimental tests of the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action?

While the predictions of the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action have been extensively studied in theoretical models, there are currently no experimental tests of the theory. However, there are ongoing efforts to test the predictions of string theory, which includes the use of the Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet action, through particle collider experiments and cosmological observations.