Field and Displacement Inside Carvities Within A Dielectric

In summary, when a small spherical cavity is hollowed out of a large piece of dielectric with an electric displacement of \vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}+\vec{P}, the field at the center of the cavity can be found by subtracting the E of the cavity from \vec{E}_{0}. The displacement at the center of the cavity can be found by subtracting \vec{P} from \vec{D}_{0}. For a long needle-shaped cavity parallel to \vec{P}, the field inside the cavity is ignored and \vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}_{0}. For a thin wafer-shaped cavity perpendicular to \vec{P}, the
relativespeak

Homework Statement

Suppose the field inside a large piece of dielectric is [itex]\vec{E}_{0}[/itex], so that the electric displacement is [itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}+\vec{P}[/itex].

a. Now a small spherical cavity is hollowed out of the material. Find the field at the center of the cavity in terms of [itex]\vec{E}_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{P}[/itex]. Also find the displacement at the center of the cavity in terms of [itex]\vec{D}_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{P}[/itex].

b. Do the same for a long needle-shaped cavity running parallel to [itex]\vec{P}[/itex].

c. Do the same for a thin wafer shaped cavity perpendicular to [itex]\vec{P}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}[/itex] when [itex]\vec{P}=0[/itex] (inside the cavity).

The Attempt at a Solution

For each part, I found the E of the cavity as if it were a solid piece, and then subtracted that from [itex]\vec{E}_{0}[/itex] to account for the change in [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]. Then, because [itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}[/itex] inside the cavity, [itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}_{new}[/itex].

a. This part was simple. Inside a polarized sphere, [itex]\vec{E}=\frac{-1}{3\epsilon_{0}} \vec{P}[/itex], so [itex]\vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}_{0}+\frac{1}{3\epsilon_{0}} \vec{P}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{D}=\vec{D}_{0}-\frac{2}{3}\vec{P}[/itex].b. Here it gets more tricky. The length of the needle is parallel to [itex]\vec{P}[/itex], so the [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] is pointed into and outside the ends. There would be a - charge and + charge at opposite ends, creating a field between them. But the field is negligible because the distance between them is large compared to the dipole? In that case, [itex]\vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}_{0}[/itex]. Once we neglect the field inside, I can move forward, but can anyone explain better why exactly we ignore that field.

c. Now we have a thin wafer-shaped cavity. I tried to use potential to calculate the electric field within the wafer.

[itex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\oint_{S}\frac{1}{r} \vec{P}\cdot d\vec{a}[/itex].

(I did not use the second half of this eqn because we are assuming uniform polarization, which means the gradient of polarization is 0.)

From here I find
[itex]\vec{E}=-\vec{\triangledown}V=\frac{-1}{2\epsilon_{0}}\vec{P}[/itex].

I then multiplied this by 2 to account for the top and bottom sides of the wafer and found

[itex]\vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}+\frac{1}{\epsilon_{0}}\vec{P}[/itex].

The answer is right, but I'm not sure about my work/reasoning.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm fixing the code currently

Related to Field and Displacement Inside Carvities Within A Dielectric

What is the concept of field and displacement inside cavities within a dielectric?

The concept of field and displacement inside cavities within a dielectric refers to the behavior of electric fields and electric displacement fields in the presence of dielectric materials, specifically within enclosed spaces or cavities. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electricity and electromagnetic waves in various materials.

How do electric fields behave inside cavities within a dielectric?

Electric fields inside cavities within a dielectric behave differently than in free space. They tend to concentrate at the edges and corners of the cavity, and the field strength is dependent on the shape and size of the cavity as well as the dielectric constant of the material.

What is the difference between electric field and electric displacement field inside cavities within a dielectric?

Electric field and electric displacement field are related but different concepts. Electric field is a measure of the force experienced by a unit charge in the presence of an electric field, while electric displacement field is a measure of the polarization of the material due to the presence of an electric field. In cavities within a dielectric, the electric displacement field is affected by the presence of the cavity walls and edges, while the electric field is affected by the dielectric properties of the material.

How does the presence of a dielectric material in a cavity affect the behavior of electric fields?

The presence of a dielectric material in a cavity affects the behavior of electric fields by changing the distribution of the field within the cavity. The dielectric material can polarize in response to the electric field, which in turn affects the electric displacement field and the overall behavior of the electric field within the cavity.

What are some real-world applications of understanding field and displacement inside cavities within a dielectric?

Understanding field and displacement inside cavities within a dielectric is important in various fields, including electrical engineering, materials science, and physics. It is used in designing and optimizing electronic devices, such as capacitors, and in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves in materials. It also has applications in medical imaging, as different tissues have different dielectric properties and can be distinguished based on their response to electric fields.