Fibonacci Operations: Uncovering Weird Properties

• Thread starter willr12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary: It's fascinating how many patterns and properties can be found within such a simple sequence.In summary, the conversation discusses a possible property of the Fibonacci sequence involving the squares of the numbers and their relationship to the sequence. However, it is pointed out that the equation only holds up when the first two terms are 1 and 1, rather than the traditional 0 and 1. The speaker also expresses their fascination with the sequence and its patterns and properties.
willr12
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=ff063a19b0&view=att&th=148f1c9590566f17&attid=0.1&disp=safe&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-_5uo2y5jplL5o_M_vYWte&sadet=1412805844641&sads=ivFuEkpjW55tmUUptu2J4poEUhA So I've been messing around with the Fibonacci sequence and I noticed a weird property with the squares of the numbers. It is as follows:
Kind of a weird property as the operation on the top changes depending on the value of x.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
IMG_3786.JPG

Very interesting. I have always been fascinated by the fibonacci sequence and the divine ratio.

2 is Fibonacci number 4, and 1 is Fibonacci number 2 (and 3, but let's go with 2). Let's try it out:
(2)^2 + (-1)(1)^2 = 3. 3 / 1 = 3. Is 3 Fibonacci number (2*4 - 2)? Fibonacci number 6? No, 3 is Fibonacci number 5.
I 'dunno man, I think it doesn't hold up.

ModestyKing said:
2 is Fibonacci number 4, and 1 is Fibonacci number 2 (and 3, but let's go with 2). Let's try it out:
(2)^2 + (-1)(1)^2 = 3. 3 / 1 = 3. Is 3 Fibonacci number (2*4 - 2)? Fibonacci number 6? No, 3 is Fibonacci number 5.
I 'dunno man, I think it doesn't hold up.
Just realized my stupidity. This equation has F1=1, F2=1, F3=2...so it starts with 1 and 1 and then goes onward instead of 0 and 1 as the first two terms. I'm working on a new equation that uses 0 and 1 as the first two. However, this equation does hold up when 1 and 1 are the first terms. When 1 and 1 are the first 2 terms, 2 is fib number 3 and 1 is number 1. Therefore the quotient should be 2*3-(3-1)=4, and 3 is indeed fib number 4 when 1 and 1 are the first terms of the sequence.

David Carroll said:
Very interesting. I have always been fascinated by the fibonacci sequence and the divine ratio.
Me as well.

Related to Fibonacci Operations: Uncovering Weird Properties

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence and how is it related to Fibonacci Operations?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. For example, the sequence would be 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21... Fibonacci Operations are mathematical operations that use the Fibonacci sequence as a basis, such as Fibonacci addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. What are some examples of "weird properties" that can be uncovered with Fibonacci Operations?

Some examples of weird properties that can be uncovered with Fibonacci Operations include the Fibonacci paradox, where adding all the positive and negative Fibonacci numbers results in 0, and the Fibonacci word problem, where a phrase can be represented by numbers using the Fibonacci sequence.

3. How are Fibonacci Operations used in real life?

Fibonacci Operations have various applications in real life, such as in financial markets to predict stock prices, in nature to explain the growth patterns of plants and animals, and in computer science for data compression and data encryption.

4. Can Fibonacci Operations be extended to other mathematical sequences?

Yes, Fibonacci Operations can be extended to other mathematical sequences, such as the Lucas sequence, where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 2 and 1. This would result in Lucas Operations, which have their own unique properties.

5. Are there any practical uses for Fibonacci Operations beyond their mathematical properties?

Yes, Fibonacci Operations have been used in various fields, such as music composition, art, and architecture, to create aesthetically pleasing patterns and structures. They have also been used in algorithms for optimization problems, such as the Fibonacci search method for finding the maximum or minimum of a function.