Feynman rules for vector bosons

In summary, the question is about the Minkowski metric terms in the Feynman rules for a gauge field coupling to itself, specifically how they are derived in Eq 7.57 and Eq 7.58 in Lewis Ryder's book. If you don't have the book, the question is also about the suitability of the book for self-learning QFT. The Minkowski metric arises from expanding 4-vector dot products in the interacting Lagrangian and plays a role in selecting appropriate Clebsch-Gordon coefficients in the Feynman rules. Srednicki's book is recommended as an alternative resource.
wangjiaji
I'm learning QFT by reading Lewis Ryder's book, so my question in short is: how he arrives at Eq 7.57 and Eq 7.58? If you don't have the book, the question is: why are there Minkowski metric terms in the Feynman rules for a gauge field coupling to itself? If the answer is complicated, simply tell me where I can find it please, I have Peskin's and Weinberg's book, too.

For me it seems impossible to proceed after Chapter 7 with this book, it doesn't have a systematic way of introducing Feynman diagrams, and the Feynman rules for vector bosons seem to be pulled out of a hat, is this a suitable book for a man learning QFT for the first time on his own?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
in Weinberg?

Hi wangjiaji! :smile:

I don't have Ryder's book, but I do have Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields Volume I …

which page number, and which equations, is it in Weinberg? :smile:

To derive the precise form of the Feynman rule, it would be best for you to work it out starting from the LSZ reduction formula for the scattering processes [itex]gg\rightarrow g[/itex] and [itex]gg\rightarrow gg[/itex]. Essentially, the Minkowski metric arises from needing to expand the 4-vector dot products between the vector fields in the interacting Lagrangian before proceeding to contract fields:
[tex]A_\mu A^\mu=g_{\mu\nu}A^\mu A^\nu[/tex]​

Physically speaking, the role of the Minkowski metric in the Feynman rules for the 3- and 4- vector boson vertices is to select, depending on the polarization of the incoming and outgoing vector bosons, the appropriate Clebsch-Gordon coefficient arising from the coupling of two spin-1 systems.

Try Srednicki's book. A draft copy is available free at his web page.

Related to Feynman rules for vector bosons

1. What are Feynman rules for vector bosons?

The Feynman rules for vector bosons are a set of mathematical rules that describe how vector bosons, such as photons and W and Z bosons, interact and behave in particle interactions. These rules are based on the Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions.

2. How are Feynman rules for vector bosons derived?

Feynman rules for vector bosons are derived from the principles of quantum field theory. They are based on the concept of gauge invariance, which states that the laws of physics should not change under certain transformations. By applying these principles, the interactions of vector bosons can be described and calculated using the Feynman rules.

3. What do the Feynman rules for vector bosons tell us about particle interactions?

The Feynman rules for vector bosons provide information about the probability and amplitude of different particle interactions. They can be used to calculate the likelihood of particles scattering or decaying, as well as to predict the properties of new particles that may be produced in high-energy collisions.

4. Can the Feynman rules for vector bosons be applied to all particle interactions?

Yes, the Feynman rules for vector bosons are a fundamental part of quantum field theory and can be applied to all particle interactions, including those involving other types of particles such as fermions and scalar bosons. However, the specific rules may vary depending on the types of particles involved in the interaction.

5. How are Feynman rules for vector bosons used in experimental particle physics?

Feynman rules for vector bosons are used in experimental particle physics to analyze and interpret data from high-energy collisions. By comparing the calculated probabilities and amplitudes with the observed data, scientists can confirm or refute theoretical predictions and gain a better understanding of the fundamental particles and their interactions.