Feynman Path integrals in space with holes?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of Feynman Path Integrals in quantum mechanics and the possibility of studying them in spaces with excluded regions. There is a question about whether excluded regions result in a zero amplitude and if this can lead to curvature in general relativity. The Aharonov-Bohm effect is suggested as a potential area of study, but it is noted that it may not be directly applicable. The role of material in the double-slit experiment is also considered in relation to the wave function.
friend
Feynman Path Integrals are a way of calculating the wave function of quantum mechanics. It usually integrates every possible path through all of space. I wonder if there is any study of Feynman path integrals through a space with holes in it - with regions of space excluded from the integration process. More specifically, I'm wondering about points or regions of space where the amplitude must be zero. I assume that a point or region that is exclude from the path integral means that the amplitude will be zero there.

I've heard described elsewhere that a space with holes in it can result in a curvature of that space. And I wonder if the classical limit of a particle path will become curved due to nearby "holes". Could this result in the curvature of general relativity? A quick Google search did not result in any relevant results. So I wonder if there has been any study on this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
Try the Aharonov-Bohm effect:

I'm not sure the Aharonov-Bohm effect is the same because the effect is due to something in a region, not due to no region. But as far as that goes, can we say that the material of the double-slit experiment (not the open slits themselves), does the material block the wave function, making the wave function of the traveling particles to be zero at the material walls? Or is there reflection or absorption that's not equivalent to the wave function being zero at the walls?

Related to Feynman Path integrals in space with holes?

1. What are Feynman Path integrals in space with holes?

Feynman Path integrals in space with holes are a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in a space that contains holes or obstacles. It takes into account all possible paths the particle could take, including those that go through the holes.

2. How are Feynman Path integrals in space with holes different from regular Feynman Path integrals?

The main difference is that regular Feynman Path integrals assume a continuous and unobstructed space, while Feynman Path integrals in space with holes take into account the presence of obstacles or holes in the space. This allows for a more realistic calculation of the particle's probability of movement.

3. What are the applications of Feynman Path integrals in space with holes?

Feynman Path integrals in space with holes are used in various fields such as quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and statistical mechanics. They are also used in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of materials with defects or irregularities.

4. Can Feynman Path integrals in space with holes be visualized?

Yes, Feynman Path integrals in space with holes can be visualized using Feynman diagrams, which represent all possible paths a particle can take in a given space. These diagrams can be used to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another, taking into account the presence of holes or obstacles.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman Path integrals in space with holes?

One limitation is that the calculations can become increasingly complex as the number of holes or obstacles in the space increases. Additionally, Feynman Path integrals in space with holes are based on the assumption that the particle is non-interacting, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.