Feynman Lectures and the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics

In summary, in Volume 1 of the Feynman Lectures on Physics, Feynman discusses the ideal gas law and its derivation from Newton's laws of motion. However, he also mentions a caveat regarding the assumption of thermal equilibrium, which can be proven from the laws of mechanics but is complicated and easier to establish in quantum mechanics. This is known as the zeroth law of thermodynamics and is connected to the equipartition theorem. The proof of the zeroth law requires advanced mechanics and is easier to understand in quantum mechanics.
lugita15
In Volume 1 of the Feynman Lectures on Physics, Feynman derives the ideal gas law from Newton's laws of motion. But then on page 41-1, he puts a caveat to the derivation he has just completed: "We have perpetually been making a certain important assumption, which is that if a given system is in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature, it will also be in equilibrium with anything else at the same temperature ... This proposition is true and can be proven from the laws of mechanics, but the proof is very complicated and can be established only by using advanced mechanics. It is much easier to prove in quantum mechanics than it is in classical mechanics. It was proved first by Boltzmann, but for now we simply take it to be true."

Does anyone know what Feynman is talking about? Is he referring to the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics? Can it be proved using Newton's laws of motion, and is the proof really complicated? Where can I find this proof?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You in Advance.

Science news on Phys.org
I've done some reading about Boltzmann, and I'm thinking that this may have something to do with the equipartition theorem. Is the equipartition theorem in any way connected to the zeroth law?

I think you have it right - its the zeroth law of thermodynamics.

The proof of the zeroth law is complicated - because it involves showing that there is a function of the (macroscopic) thermodynamic variables which can be used to define equilibrium (this function is the temperature) starting from microscopic variables (for instance the positions and momenta of all the molecules making up a gas).

ogion said:
I think you have it right - its the zeroth law of thermodynamics.

The proof of the zeroth law is complicated - because it involves showing that there is a function of the (macroscopic) thermodynamic variables which can be used to define equilibrium (this function is the temperature) starting from microscopic variables (for instance the positions and momenta of all the molecules making up a gas).
Where can I find this proof of the zeroth law from Newton's laws? Why does it require "advanced mechanics" (which I assume refers to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians) and why is it easier if you start from quantum mechanics instead?

I can shed some light on Feynman's statement and the connection to the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics. Firstly, the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics states that if two bodies are each in thermal equilibrium with a third body, then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other. This may seem like a simple and obvious statement, but it is actually a fundamental principle in thermodynamics and has important implications for the behavior of systems in thermal equilibrium.

Feynman is indeed referring to the Zeroth Law in his statement and is essentially saying that the ideal gas law, derived from Newton's laws of motion, assumes that this law holds true. However, proving the Zeroth Law from Newton's laws of motion is a complex and advanced task, and it is much easier to prove using quantum mechanics.

The proof of the Zeroth Law using classical mechanics was first done by Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann in the late 1800s. However, this proof is not as straightforward as one might think and requires a deep understanding of statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. It is not something that can be easily explained in a few sentences and would require a significant amount of study and mathematical rigor to fully understand.

If you are interested in learning more about the proof of the Zeroth Law, I would recommend studying statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, as well as looking into specific textbooks or papers on the subject. While it may be challenging, understanding the proof of the Zeroth Law is essential for a complete understanding of thermodynamics and the behavior of systems in thermal equilibrium.

I hope this helps clarify Feynman's statement and provides some direction for further study. Good luck in your scientific journey!

Related to Feynman Lectures and the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics

1. What are the Feynman Lectures?

The Feynman Lectures are a series of physics lectures given by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman at the California Institute of Technology in the early 1960s. They cover a wide range of topics in physics, including the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics.

2. What is the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics states that if two systems are each in thermal equilibrium with a third system, then they are also in thermal equilibrium with each other. This law establishes the concept of temperature and is the basis for the measurement of temperature in thermodynamics.

3. How does the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics relate to the Feynman Lectures?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics is one of the fundamental principles discussed in the Feynman Lectures. Feynman explains this law in detail and provides examples of how it is applied in various physical systems.

4. What is the significance of the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics is important because it allows us to define and measure temperature, which is a crucial parameter in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It also forms the basis for the other laws of thermodynamics.

5. Are the Feynman Lectures still relevant today?

Yes, the Feynman Lectures are still highly relevant and influential in the field of physics. Many concepts and theories discussed in the lectures are still used today, and Feynman's clear and engaging teaching style continues to inspire and educate students and scientists alike.