Feynman: Apparent area of a nucleus

In summary, in paragraph 5.7 of this lecture, Feynman explains how to calculate the apparent area of the nucleus in a sheet of unspecified material. In the formula used, the superficial area of the sheet is considered instead of its thickness, possibly due to the alignment of nuclei in the superficial layer. In a note, Feynman mentions a correction factor for cases where the area covered by the nuclei is a larger fraction of the total, but the exact application of this correction is not clear. Feynman suggests calculating the probability of a nucleus being obscured by another and using this as the correction factor, but it may be difficult to obtain information about the arrangement of nuclei in the material. Additional calculations and understanding of the values involved
Aleoa
In paragraph 5.7 of this lecture, Feynman explains how to calculate the apparent area of the nucleus, in a sheet of unspecified material.
I have two questions about the formula used by Feynman.

1) Although the sheet has a thickness, the formula considers only the superficial area of the sheet. Maybe because the material is a crystal, so the every nucleus in the superficial layer is aligned with the nuclei of below layers. What do you think ?

2) In the note Feynman says:

"This equation is right only if the area covered by the nuclei is a small fraction of the total, i.e., if (n1−n2)/n1 is much less than 1" role="presentation">1. Otherwise we must make a correction for the fact that some nuclei will be partly obscured by the nuclei in front of them"

Do you have any idea how to apply this correction factor to the previous formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You can answer this yourself: what is the probability a nucleus of radius ##r_0## is covered by another nucleus if you do assume ##{n_1-n_2\over n_1} \ll 1## ??

BvU said:
Hi,

You can answer this yourself: what is the probability a nucleus of radius ##r_0## is covered by another nucleus if you do assume ##{n_1-n_2\over n_1} \ll 1## ??

If ##{n_1-n_2\over n_1} \ll 1## i know that the area covered by the nuclei is very small, but I'm not able to obtain information about the disposition of the atoms in the volume of the material...

But it says so in the text:
the fraction of the area “covered” by the nuclei is Nσ/A
in other words: the probability that a nucleus is hidden by another is that self-same ##n_1-n_2\over n_1## and we get a correction term of ##{A\over N} \left( n_1-n_2\over n_1 \right ) ^2##

BvU said:
But it says so in the text: in other words: the probability that a nucleus is hidden by another is that self-same ##n_1-n_2\over n_1## and we get a correction term of ##{A\over N} \left( n_1-n_2\over n_1 \right ) ^2##

Can you explain me why ?

I thought that ## \left( n_1-n_2\over n_1 \right ) ## simply represents the area covered by all the nuclei, but it doesn't given information about the arrangement of the nuclei ( that is, If many of them are covered with each other) ; maybe Feynman assumes that the material is a perfect crystal; however if it were so Feynman would have no reason to ask for "a correction for the fact that some nuclei will be partially obscured by the nuclei in front of them " . I'm a bit confused...

There is an area ##A## of which a fraction ##n_1-n_2\over n_1## is covered by ##N## nuclei with each an area ##\sigma##. So the area covered is ##N\sigma = A{n_1-n_2\over n_1}##. The probability that a nucleus is hidden is therefore ##n_1-n_2\over n_1##.

Don't waste too much time on this: you have seen the values: nuclei are really small in relation to atoms.

[edit]Ah, I see:
Aleoa said:
not able to obtain information about the disposition of the atoms in the volume of the material
Do some calculations: density, atomic weight, Avogadro number, and see if fig 5-10 is exaggerated or an 'understated' picture

BvU said:
There is an area ##A## of which a fraction ##n_1-n_2\over n_1## is covered by ##N## nuclei with each an area ##\sigma##. So the area covered is ##N\sigma = A{n_1-n_2\over n_1}##. The probability that a nucleus is hidden is therefore ##n_1-n_2\over n_1##.

Don't waste too much time on this: you have seen the values: nuclei are really small in relation to atoms.

[edit]Ah, I see:Do some calculations: density, atomic weight, Avogadro number, and see if fig 5-10 is exaggerated or an 'understated' picture

I'm very sorry, but i am not still able to understand where the correction factor comes from. I have understood the formula##N\sigma = A{n_1-n_2\over n_1}##, but not the intuition behind the correction factor

Related to Feynman: Apparent area of a nucleus

1. What is the Feynman theory of the apparent area of a nucleus?

The Feynman theory of the apparent area of a nucleus is a mathematical model proposed by physicist Richard Feynman in 1949 to explain the scattering of high-energy particles off of atomic nuclei. It states that the apparent area of a nucleus, as observed by a high-energy particle, is proportional to the square of its atomic number.

2. How does the Feynman theory explain the apparent size of a nucleus?

The Feynman theory suggests that high-energy particles interact with the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus together. As the particle gets closer to the nucleus, the strong force increases, causing the particle to scatter. By measuring the angle of scattering, the apparent size of the nucleus can be calculated using the Feynman formula.

3. What makes the Feynman theory different from other nuclear models?

The Feynman theory is unique because it takes into account the effects of the strong nuclear force, which was not included in previous models. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the apparent size of a nucleus, especially for larger nuclei with higher atomic numbers.

4. How has the Feynman theory been confirmed by experiments?

Several experiments have been conducted to test the Feynman theory, and the results have consistently shown a correlation between the apparent size of a nucleus and its atomic number. Additionally, the Feynman formula has been used to successfully predict the scattering of particles off of various nuclei.

5. Is the Feynman theory still relevant in modern nuclear physics?

Yes, the Feynman theory is still widely used in modern nuclear physics and has been incorporated into many other models and theories. It has also been applied to other areas of physics, such as the study of quarks and gluons within the nucleus. However, it is important to note that the Feynman theory is a simplified model and does not fully capture all aspects of nuclear interactions.