Feyman Diagram - Represent QED model(s)?

In summary, a Feynman Diagram is a pictorial representation of interactions between particles in quantum field theory. It can be used to visualize and calculate the probability of different particle interactions. These diagrams do not replace complex QED models, but rather provide a more intuitive understanding of them. Feynman himself taught about QED and explained the diagrams in detail in some videos. While this may not be a traditional Q&A forum, it is a place for physics enthusiasts to discuss in-depth topics.
Simone_beet
Hi - could someone briefly explain a Feyman Diagram (example?). Does this replace one or more complex QED model(s)? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are two sites that give good descriptions of what Feynman diagrams are. The latter is a bit more in depth:
http://www.physlink.com/Education/askexperts/ae263.cfm"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram"

Also, here are some great videos where Feynman himself teaches QED. He describes the diagrams in the 3rd video:
http://www.vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. The more I read the message board contents, the more it becomes apparent that this is not so much a Q&A or "where can I find it" as a forum to post an in-depth specific topic vs. something that I could have googled. None the less, it appeared to be a place for 'lovers of physics' e.g. me. I appreciate your time to reply.

Related to Feyman Diagram - Represent QED model(s)?

1. What is a Feynman diagram and what does it represent?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of quantum mechanical processes in particle physics. It shows the interaction between elementary particles using lines and vertices.

2. How are Feynman diagrams used in the QED model?

Feynman diagrams are used in the QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) model to calculate the probability amplitudes for different particle interactions. They provide a way to visualize and calculate the complex mathematical equations involved in quantum mechanics.

3. What information can be obtained from a Feynman diagram in the QED model?

A Feynman diagram in the QED model can provide information about the type of particle interaction, the particles involved, and the probability of that interaction occurring. It can also be used to calculate the decay rates and scattering amplitudes of particles.

4. How do Feynman diagrams help in understanding the QED model?

Feynman diagrams help in understanding the QED model by simplifying complex mathematical equations into visual diagrams. They also provide a way to visualize the exchange of virtual particles and the fundamental forces involved in the interaction between particles.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams in the QED model?

While Feynman diagrams are a powerful tool in understanding the QED model, they have limitations in representing higher-order interactions involving more than two particles. In these cases, more complex diagrams or mathematical equations are needed to accurately describe the interaction.