Few Vector Addition questions, Not sure if correct

In summary, the two men walk different distances north and south from a hole, and find their net displacement from the tree. The vector difference between their displacements is arctan z/x, and has a magnitude of 5.0 and a direction of 0 degrees.
Elysian

Homework Statement

1) Two men are near a hole, One man walks 12m east and then 12m North from a hole, the other walks 15m west and then 11m north, Find the dot product of their net displacements from the tree
_______

2) Vector A = -i +2j - 5k, Vector B = 3i +2j -2k
Find the magnitude and direction of the vector difference A -B

Homework Equations

|A||B|cos(t) = A(x)B(x) + A(y)B(y) = |A||B|

The Attempt at a Solution

1 )I didn't calculate the resultant as I think you don't need it, I used the components given

A = 12i + 12j
B = -15i +11j

|A||B| = (12*-15) + (12*11) = -48.

2) A - B = -4i -3k

|A-B| = [itex]\sqrt{-4^2 + 0^2 + -3^2}[/itex] = 5.0

arctan([itex]\frac{0}{-4}[/itex] = 0

So the magnitude is 5.0 and the angle is 0 degrees? This seems wrong to me..

If anyone can tell me if I did these right or give me a tip in the right direction, it'd be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Elysian said:

Homework Statement

1) Two men are near a hole, One man walks 12m east and then 12m North from a hole, the other walks 15m west and then 11m north, Find the dot product of their net displacements from the tree
_______

2) Vector A = -i +2j - 5k, Vector B = 3i +2j -2k
Find the magnitude and direction of the vector difference A -B

Homework Equations

|A||B|cos(t) = A(x)B(x) + A(y)B(y) = |A||B|

The Attempt at a Solution

1 )I didn't calculate the resultant as I think you don't need it, I used the components given

A = 12i + 12j
B = -15i +11j

|A||B| = (12*-15) + (12*11) = -48.
Don't forget the units.
2) A - B = -4i -3k

|A-B| = [itex]\sqrt{-4^2 + 0^2 + -3^2}[/itex] = 5.0

arctan([itex]\frac{0}{-4}[/itex] = 0

So the magnitude is 5.0 and the angle is 0 degrees? This seems wrong to me..
The formula you used for the angle is for a vector that lies in the xy-plane. You actually have a three-dimensional problem here, so you'll need to think a bit more about how to describe the direction of the vector.

Thanks a lot for your reply, For the second one would it actually be arctan z/x? Since there's no y coordinate the vector lies in the xz plane, that would make it arctan z/x?

Yes, that'll work. Just make sure you describe exactly what angle you're calculating.

Ok, I've got 36.9 degrees south of west, I think that seems right seeing as this vector is in the 3rd quadrant of the xz axis, from the +x it'd be 216.9 degrees. Have I done anything wrong?

Sounds good.

Alright vela, Thanks a ton for your help, I really appreciate it.

Related to Few Vector Addition questions, Not sure if correct

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector. It involves adding the magnitudes and directions of the vectors to determine the resulting vector.

2. How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you first need to determine their magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method to add the vectors. In the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting line represents the sum of the two vectors. In the parallelogram method, you draw the two vectors as adjacent sides of a parallelogram, and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum of the two vectors.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector addition?

Scalar addition is the process of adding two or more scalar quantities, which only have a magnitude and no direction. Vector addition, on the other hand, involves adding vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. Scalar addition results in a scalar quantity, while vector addition results in a vector quantity.

4. Can vectors be subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be subtracted in the same way that they are added. The only difference is that when subtracting vectors, you use the negative of the vector you are subtracting instead of its original magnitude and direction.

5. How is vector addition used in science?

Vector addition is used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the net force acting on an object, the displacement of an object, and the resultant velocity of an object. It is also used in the analysis of motion and forces in various systems.