Few problems I've tried but still had issues on

• Thread starter Nefarious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a bird after it swallows a bug and the distance a man can walk on a beam without exceeding the tension in the cable. The bird's weight is also mentioned.
Nefarious
#1 : A 300g bird is gliding through the air toward the east at 8m/s. A 10gram bug is buzzing along toward the west at 5ms direction toward the bird. The bird opens his mouth and swallows the bug. What is the velocity of the bird immediately after swallowing the bug?

Using conservation of momentum this is what I did.

300g * 8m/s = 2400
10g * 5m/s = 50

2400-50 = 300 * x

x=7.83m/s

However I'm aware that I'm wrong would love if someone could show me where I went wrong.

#2: A 10 foot beam has a mass of 200lbs. The cable at the end of the beam makes an angle of 40degrees with the horizontal. What distance x from the left end of the beam can a 150lb man walk out onto the beam if the tension in the cable is not to exceed 300lbs.

Physics news on Phys.org
The bird has put on weight.

You realize this should have been posted in the homework forum?

For the first problem, you are correct in using conservation of momentum to solve it. However, there is a small error in your calculation. The 300g bird should actually be 0.3kg, and the 10g bug should be 0.01kg. This will give you a final answer of 7.83 m/s, as you have calculated.

For the second problem, we can use the concept of torque to solve it. Torque is the product of force and the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the pivot point is the left end of the beam.

First, we need to find the tension in the cable. We can use trigonometry to find the vertical component of the tension: 300lbs * sin(40) = 193.9lbs. This means the horizontal component is 300lbs * cos(40) = 229.6lbs.

Next, we can calculate the torque exerted by the man on the beam. Torque = force * distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the man, which is 150lbs, and the distance is x. So the torque is 150lbs * x.

The total torque exerted on the beam must be balanced, otherwise the beam will rotate. So we can set up an equation: 193.9lbs * (10ft-x) = 150lbs * x. This is because the torque exerted by the tension in the cable must be equal and opposite to the torque exerted by the man.

Solving for x, we get x = 3.89ft. So the man can walk out 3.89ft from the left end of the beam before the tension in the cable exceeds 300lbs.

Related to Few problems I've tried but still had issues on

What are the common problems that scientists encounter in their experiments?

There are several possible problems that scientists may encounter in their experiments, including equipment malfunctions, incorrect data analysis, and unexpected results. These problems may require troubleshooting and adjustments to the experimental design.

How can scientists address the issues they encounter in their experiments?

Scientists can address issues in their experiments by carefully reviewing their experimental design and procedure, double-checking their data and calculations, and seeking advice or guidance from colleagues or experts in the field.

What is the importance of documenting problems and issues in scientific research?

Documenting problems and issues in scientific research is important because it allows for transparency and accuracy in the scientific process. It also helps other scientists to learn from and potentially avoid similar issues in their own research.

What are some strategies for preventing or minimizing problems in scientific experiments?

Some strategies for preventing or minimizing problems in scientific experiments include thoroughly planning and testing the experimental design, using reliable and calibrated equipment, and carefully controlling variables and potential sources of error.

How can scientists effectively communicate and share their experiences with problems in their research?

Scientists can effectively communicate and share their experiences with problems in their research by publishing their findings in scientific journals, presenting at conferences, and engaging in discussions with other scientists through online forums or in person. They can also provide detailed documentation of their experiments and any issues encountered in their published papers.

Back