Feshbach resonance: ELI5 or resources for undergraduate

In summary, the conversation is about ultracold chemistry and the use of Feshbach resonance to tune interactions. The individual is referencing Feshbach's original piece and a book by Pethick and Smith to explain the phenomena and its application to studying ultracold chemical reactions. They are looking for an intuitive explanation and additional references, as they are an undergraduate.
bt623
I'm working on a description of ultracold chemistry and one of the modes of tuning the interactions involves Feshbach resonance. Right now I'm referring to Feshbach's original piece and accompanying it with Pethick and Smith book titled Bose-Einstein Condensation in Dilute Gases, specifically the 5th and 17th chapters. I want to be able to explain the phenomena and how it can be used to study ultracold chemical reactions.

I think I understand the mechanism, but I'm hoping someone else on here can try an give an intuitive take on the process and possibly some references to better help me considering I am an undergraduate.

Much thank in advance, and if this post is formatted wrong or outright improper for this page, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
bt623 said:
I think I understand the mechanism, but I'm hoping someone else on here can try an give an intuitive take on the process and possibly some references to better help me considering I am an undergraduate.
I don't have a specific reference at hand, so it would be easier for me if you explained what you understand about Feshbach resonances.

Related to Feshbach resonance: ELI5 or resources for undergraduate

1. What is Feshbach resonance?

Feshbach resonance is a phenomenon in which the scattering behavior of particles, such as atoms or molecules, is drastically altered by a magnetic field. This occurs when the energy of the particles matches the energy of a bound state, allowing for the formation of new molecular states or the enhancement of existing ones.

2. How does Feshbach resonance work?

Feshbach resonance is based on the principle of quantum mechanics, in which particles can exist in multiple states at the same time. When a magnetic field is applied, it causes the energy levels of the particles to shift, allowing for the particles to interact in new ways. This can lead to the formation of new molecular states, which can have different properties than the original particles.

3. What is the significance of Feshbach resonance in scientific research?

Feshbach resonance has many implications in various fields of research, such as atomic and molecular physics, quantum computing, and condensed matter physics. It allows scientists to manipulate and control the interactions between particles, leading to the creation of new materials and technologies.

4. Can you give an example of Feshbach resonance in action?

One example of Feshbach resonance is the creation of a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC). This is a state of matter in which a group of bosons, such as atoms, are cooled to near absolute zero temperature and form a single quantum state. By manipulating the magnetic field, scientists can use Feshbach resonance to control the interactions between the atoms, leading to the creation of a BEC.

5. Where can I learn more about Feshbach resonance as an undergraduate student?

As an undergraduate student, you can learn more about Feshbach resonance through textbooks and online resources. Some recommended resources include "Feshbach Resonances in Ultracold Gases" by Chris Greene and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. Additionally, many universities offer courses on atomic and molecular physics, which cover Feshbach resonance in detail.