Ferrofluid Display Cell construction- hydrophilic surface application help

In summary, Tay is constructing a ferrofluid display cell using FerroTech EFH1 ferrofluid in a round bottom pyrex beaker filled with Magnesium Citrate. However, the ferrofluid is sticking to the surface of the glass, possibly due to the iron oxide particles clinging to imperfections in the glass. Tay is looking for a hydrophilic surface coating to prevent this sticking, and has considered using a window defogger or commercial products made with titanium dioxide or silicone dioxide. Tay also mentions that the display cells sold online may use a different, more expensive ferrofluid.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings everyone,
I'm constructing a ferrofluid display cell using FerroTech EFH1 ferrofluid inside of a round bottom pyrex beaker. The ferrofluid is oil based, so it is not hydrophilic. The liquid that the ferrofluid will be suspended in is Magnesium Citrate (a household laxative... and no, i did not have this on hand!)

I've attached photos of my round bottom beaker filled with Magnesium Citrate (clear fluid) with about 15ml of black ferrofluid. Unforunately the ferrofluid has stuck to the surface of the glass. My suspicion is the ~10 nm size iron oxide particles are clinging to the imperfections in the glass. As you can see in the picture, this clinging action is unacceptable.

The best solution I've come up with involves finding and purchasing some kind of surface coating that I can apply to the inside of my beaker. The coating would need to be hydrophilic (not hydrophobic since the ferrofluid is oil based and it will completely coat the surface brown).

I need some help or advise on where I can find a hydrophilic surface coating that doesn't require baking my jar at some absurd temperature like 400 degrees Celsius. I've done some research and the compounds I've found that are used commercially utilize either titanium dioxide or silicon dioxide

info:
  1. titanium dioxide: http://www.gotowti.com/Hydrophilic-Glass.htm
  2. Silicone dioxide: http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Windows/high-performance-glass product name: LoE2

Superhydrophilicty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_hydrophilicity

The best, or closest commercial product that might work is a window defogger. The last link says they're used in defogging windows. I'm going to try that out.

Can anybody offer a better solution?

Regards,
-Tay

Attachments

• CIMG3017.jpg
    CIMG3017.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • CIMG3029.jpg
    CIMG3029.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 928
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not that familiar with ferrofluids, but I think the problem might be one of incompatible materials. The few ferrofluids I seen or worked with could be placed in glass containers without showing any sticking to the walls.

If you put the fluid in the glass *without* the magnesium citrate solution, do you get the same coating issues?

Have you worked with this particular ferrofluid in aqueous magnesium citrate solutions before? The tech sheet says that the EFH1 is suspended in light hydrocarbons. Citrate can act as a surfactant, so what might be happening is that you are emulsifying your ferrofluid ... emulsions can definitely have undesirable properties when it comes to sticking to containers (think soap scum).

Why do you want to put your oil-based ferrofluid into an aqueous solution in the first place? (There may be a perfectly good reason to do that .. I just don't have much experience with these systems, so I am curious).

You make a good point SpectraCat.
When I first started this project my greatest concern would be finding a suitable fluid to emmerce the ferrofluid in. What I proceeded to do was go around various stores in town purchasing different kinds of fluids from pharmsutical departments. I tried kerosene, ammonia, oleic acid, water, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover and magnesium citrate. While the kerosene, ammonia and alcohol dissolved my ferrofluid, I believe it was the water, nail polish remover, and magnesium citrate that showed promise. The water I used was Reverse Osmosis filtered water. The reason I didn't use water was because the spike formations when a magnet was applied were not as impressive as with the magnesium citrate. That, I did not photograph.

My primary disappointment with the water was the bubbles that formed when I shook the container. While in a perfect laboratory environment with ideal equipment I would apply a vacuum to the display cell before capping it; I do not have a vacuum pump. I admit the container shouldn't be shook in the first place...

The ferrofluid display cells that are sold for about $20 online can be found here:
http://www.teachersource.com/ElectricityAndMagnetism/Ferrofluid/FerrofluidPreformDisplayCell.aspx

or my favorite here: http://www.czferro.com/
They appear to have a new model out- the Klock, which is very similar to my desired product... I may just purchase one. $30.I've read the MSDS on the CZ Ferro display cell and It says it's a alcohol-water combination. However, I suspect the ferrofluid used in the display is not EFH1 by Ferrotech. I suspect they use Ferrotech's R&D ferrofluid which is rumored to be used in display cells. Except it's about 4x as expensive as EFH1 with a minimum $100 order.

By the way, the window defogger did indeed help, but it did not completely solve my sticking problem.

Last edited:
taylaron said:
You make a good point SpectraCat.
When I first started this project my greatest concern would be finding a suitable fluid to emmerce the ferrofluid in. What I proceeded to do was go around various stores in town purchasing different kinds of fluids from pharmsutical departments. I tried kerosene, ammonia, oleic acid, water, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover and magnesium citrate. While the kerosene, ammonia and alcohol dissolved my ferrofluid, I believe it was the water, nail polish remover, and magnesium citrate that showed promise. The water I used was Reverse Osmosis filtered water. The reason I didn't use water was because the spike formations when a magnet was applied were not as impressive as with the magnesium citrate. That, I did not photograph.

My primary disappointment with the water was the bubbles that formed when I shook the container. While in a perfect laboratory environment with ideal equipment I would apply a vacuum to the display cell before capping it; I do not have a vacuum pump. I admit the container shouldn't be shook in the first place...

The ferrofluid display cells that are sold for about $20 online can be found here:
http://www.teachersource.com/ElectricityAndMagnetism/Ferrofluid/FerrofluidPreformDisplayCell.aspx

or my favorite here: http://www.czferro.com/
They appear to have a new model out- the Klock, which is very similar to my desired product... I may just purchase one. $30.

I've read the MSDS on the CZ Ferro display cell and It says it's a alcohol-water combination. However, I suspect the ferrofluid used in the display is not EFH1 by Ferrotech. I suspect they use Ferrotech's R&D ferrofluid which is rumored to be used in display cells. Except it's about 4x as expensive as EFH1 with a minimum $100 order.

By the way, the window defogger did indeed help, but it did not completely solve my sticking problem.

Well you didn't really answer my question about whether or not the pure ferrofluid sticks to the glass or not. Assuming it doesn't, and from what you wrote above, I would say that it may well be the surfactant nature of the mag citrate that is causing your issues. The reason the spikes were not as pronounced in water is probably because the interfacial tension between the oil-based ferrofluid phase and the water is too high. Adding a surfactant reduces the interfacial tension, allowing the spikes to become more pronounced, however it will also have the tendency to emulsify your ferrofluid if you agitate it too much. One way to try to control this would be to modify the concentration of the mag citrate. Do you have any idea what the concentration of your mag citrate solution is?

I am not sure that the window defogger is really going to help. It is probably helpful for keeping the emulsion from sticking to the flask, but I think once you start emulsifying the ferrofluid, your display cell will be toast anyway.

I'd apply a 'perfluoro functionalized reactive silane' (Great GOOGLE termage!). Heat the beaker with some strong KOH, rinse well with water and dry. Apply the silane (in freon) and let it drip dry. Heat briefly to 60C and you have a perfluoro coated beaker. Neither water nor oil will stick to it... only perfluro compounds and freons.

SpectraCat said:
Well you didn't really answer my question about whether or not the pure ferrofluid sticks to the glass or not. Assuming it doesn't, and from what you wrote above, I would say that it may well be the surfactant nature of the mag citrate that is causing your issues.

Correct, the ferrofluid adheres to the surface of a clean beaker without any carrier liquid.

SpectraCat said:
The reason the spikes were not as pronounced in water is probably because the interfacial tension between the oil-based ferrofluid phase and the water is too high. Adding a surfactant reduces the interfacial tension, allowing the spikes to become more pronounced, however it will also have the tendency to emulsify your ferrofluid if you agitate it too much. One way to try to control this would be to modify the concentration of the mag citrate. Do you have any idea what the concentration of your mag citrate solution is?

I do not know the concentration of the mag citrate unfortunately... It's a cheap Walgreen's product.

SpectraCat said:
I am not sure that the window defogger is really going to help. It is probably helpful for keeping the emulsion from sticking to the flask, but I think once you start emulsifying the ferrofluid, your display cell will be toast anyway.

So I've learned...

I'm also thinking that the glass used in the commercial display cells is of higher quality than my pyrex beaker. The containers I'm looking at on those links look extremely well polished.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can seal my container without any air bubbles? A decent vacuum pump is going to cost me at least $150 on eBay it looks like. Purchase doesn't look worth it.

chemisttree said:
I'd apply a 'perfluoro functionalized reactive silane' (Great GOOGLE termage!). Heat the beaker with some strong KOH, rinse well with water and dry. Apply the silane (in freon) and let it drip dry. Heat briefly to 60C and you have a perfluoro coated beaker. Neither water nor oil will stick to it... only perfluro compounds and freons.

Interesting Chemistree, but doesn't freon destroy the ozone layer??

-Tay

Hey, great work so far. I am working on a very similar project and strangely enough I too have tried magnesium citrate as a secondary solution. With the EFH1 ferrofluid (FF) I had different results - the FF immediately started to breakdown and stick to the glass while in the magnesium citrate. The problem is not with the glass. There should be no issues with FF sticking to any half decent glass container as long as the suspension fluid is of a good quality. That's the trick, finding a good carrier solution. I am still working on some mixtures however I am very close to finding something that works well without disturbing the composition of the FF. A mixture of alcohol and water is a good start. I will update this post as I progress. Let me know how things are going for you :)

Thanks caseyrocks,
I've experienced mostly failure in my attempts, which sound similar to your efforts. In the end I've largely given up. I found the glass bottle I've been using is of a low grade quality (on top of being used) and the ferrofluid nanoparticles tend to adhere to the abrasions in the surface. Seeing how they stick in the same locations every time. After toroughly cleaning the glass, trying different hydrophobic coatings (like rainX) and researching different hydrophillic solutions online I found the displays constructed commercially are of high quality, highly polished glass on the inside which are baked in an oven at ~2000deg F and are coated with a some sort of titanium dioxide (or something) which acts as an extremely durable and effective hydrophobic (or hydrophillic, i can't remember) surface for the ferrofluid to repel.
I also found that there is a reason the commercial display units eg; "nano drop" are so small. you cannot shake the containers without causing your ferrofluid and suspension liquid to become an emulsion. Once it's emulsified, you cannot easily fix it. The larger the container and the more ferrofluid there is, the easier it is to emulsify your mixture.
I also found that the round bottom flask I was using acted as a refracting lens and adversely affected my ability to observe the ferrofluid, other than looking up at the bottom (which is pointless...). the "nano drop" company's use of perfume bottle which are essentially highly polished ovals work great for observation as there is little lensing.
for $30 you can buy one you can hold in your fist. http://shop.czferro.com/Ferrofluid-Klock-Klock-Ferrofluid.htm

Also, with the magnesium citrate, you need to apply a hard vacuum to evacuate all the air out of the solution otherwise bubbles form in your display which are detrimental to the ferrofluid and your container surface.
Also, with the suspension liquid, try to find a liquid with as close a density as possible to the ferrofluid. Unfortunately most of the fluids that are appropriate for the job are hazardous.
Info I collected:

FerroTec EFH1 ferrofluid has density of 1.21gm/ml
Liquids with same density:
Benzoyl chloride (hazmat)
Formic acid (hazmat)
Close density:
Dimethyl sulfoxide (1.100 gm/ml) HAZMAT . Data from http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_liquids.htm
Benzil (1.08 g/ml) )(hazmat)
Beer: around 1010 at 20 deg C

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end, I spent more money trying to figure out how to do it and construct one than does the actual product! evidently this is usually the case in home-projects

I have made some progress in my two part display. I am using untreated food grade glass bottles soaked overnight in the mixture before adding the FF.

The secondary fluid is 50% Methyl Hydrate (99% pure) and 50% distilled H2O

There is some sticking to the glass only where the FF rests for a long period of time however I am working on this. I suspect that some of the FF breaks down and sticks so I am cleaning the area of the bad sticky FF while holding the good FF away with a magnet. It seems to be working however I am sure there is an easier way. I am going to try transferring to another bottle and letting it rest.

http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/dsc00833-1/
http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/dsc00836-1/

http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/dsc00833-1/
http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/dsc00836-1/

Are you guys purchasing ferrofluid or synthesizing it yourselves?

caseyrocks said:
The secondary fluid is 50% Methyl Hydrate (99% pure) and 50% distilled H2O

@caseyrocks,

Have you made any progress on your suspension fluid? I am very interested in ferrofluid and just ordered 1L of FerroTec EFH1:

http://www.ferrotec.com/index.php?id=audioFluid&vfp_id=125

http://www.teachersource.com/product/bulk-ferrofluid-100ml-1000ml/

I will start with your recommendation for methyl hydrate and water. I also plan to try commercial anti-fog coatings on the glass such as FogTech anti-fog solution. Has anyone applied titanium oxide as a DIY? If so, how? Any further info is appreciated. Thanks!

I just tried an over the counter anti-fogger called FogTec and it seems to work pretty well. I have a few test tubes that I applied the defogger to, let them dry, filled slowly with plain ol' tap water, and added some ferrofluid. Compared to the test tubes without the fogger, there is a big difference. The glass remains clean, stain free, and the ferrofluid does not stick to it. Also, the test tubes are brand new and free of any scratches, which helps a lot too.

Next step, DIY TiO2 glass coating:

http://www.solideas.com/solrcell/coatglas.html

Related to Ferrofluid Display Cell construction- hydrophilic surface application help

1. What is a Ferrofluid Display Cell?

A Ferrofluid Display Cell is a device that uses a ferrofluid, a liquid that becomes magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field, to create mesmerizing visual displays. It typically consists of a clear container filled with ferrofluid and a magnet that can be manipulated to create unique shapes and patterns.

2. How does a Ferrofluid Display Cell work?

The ferrofluid in a display cell is made up of tiny magnetic particles suspended in a carrier fluid. When a magnet is placed near the cell, the magnetic particles align themselves with the magnetic field, creating unique shapes and patterns. The patterns can be manipulated by moving the magnet, creating a dynamic display.

3. What is the purpose of a hydrophilic surface in a Ferrofluid Display Cell?

A hydrophilic surface is used in a Ferrofluid Display Cell to help the ferrofluid spread evenly across the surface of the container. This allows for more precise control and manipulation of the ferrofluid using the magnet. Without a hydrophilic surface, the ferrofluid may clump together, making it difficult to create desired shapes and patterns.

4. How can I apply a hydrophilic surface to my Ferrofluid Display Cell?

There are several ways to apply a hydrophilic surface to a Ferrofluid Display Cell. One method is to use a surfactant, a substance that reduces the surface tension of the ferrofluid, making it more hydrophilic. Another method is to coat the surface with a hydrophilic material, such as a thin layer of silica or glass, to help the ferrofluid spread evenly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when constructing a Ferrofluid Display Cell?

Yes, it is important to handle ferrofluid with caution as it can stain surfaces and is toxic if ingested. It is also important to use strong magnets with care, as they can cause harm if mishandled. When constructing a Ferrofluid Display Cell, be sure to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area. Keep the cell away from electronics and sensitive equipment, as the magnetism may interfere with their functioning.