Ferris Wheel question (Motion in 2d)

In summary: The dot where the passenger is should be placed at the center of the circle.The vectors representing the tangential and centripetal acceleration of the passenger should be drawn as follows: The vectors representing the tangential and centripetal acceleration of the passenger should be drawn as follows: The sum of the vectors is pointing towards the center of the circle.
jmedina94
1. The Ferris wheel [...] rotates counterclockwise, is just starting up. At a given instant, a passenger on the rim of the wheel and passing through the lowest point of his circular motion is moving at 3.00 m/s and is gaining speed at a rate of 0.500 m/s^2 .
2. Find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at this instant.
3. My attempt was using: the arctan 0.64/0.5, and that yielded ~52.0° but no dice so, could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you made your calculation. (Some information is missing from your problem statement.)

Doc Al said:
Show how you made your calculation. (Some information is missing from your problem statement.)

The problem: The Ferris wheel in the figure (Figure 1) , which rotates counterclockwise, is just starting up. At a given instant, a passenger on the rim of the wheel and passing through the lowest point of his circular motion is moving at 3.00 m/s and is gaining speed at a rate of 0.500 m/s^2 .

The ferris wheel's radius is 14m**** Sorry about that!

Centripetal Acc = v^2/r
= 9/14 m/s^2 = 0.64

Tangential Acc = 0.5 m/s^2

Magnitude of both vectors = 0.81 m/s

θ = tan^-1 (0.64/0.5) *this was wrong*"find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at this instant"

Last edited:
jmedina94 said:
The ferris wheel's radius is 14m**** Sorry about that!
Ah, good.

Centripetal Acc = v^2/r
= 9/14 m/2^2 = 0.64

Tangential Acc = 0.5 m/s^2

Magnitude of both vectors = 0.81 m/s

θ = tan^-1 (0.64/0.5) *this was wrong*
OK, but with respect to what is that angle? How do they want the direction represented?

OK, but with respect to what is that angle? How do they want the direction represented?

Not sure I was just testing out a method I had already practiced, probably the center of the ferris wheel?

They want it as:

θ= __° north of east

jmedina94 said:
Not sure I was just testing out a method I had already practiced, probably the center of the ferris wheel?
The passenger is at the bottom. Draw a picture of the acceleration vector.

They want it as:

θ= __° north of east
You are on the right track, you just have to express it correctly.

Doc Al said:
The passenger is at the bottom. Draw a picture of the acceleration vector.

This is my rendition of the question, not sure if it's the correct way to solve the direction

Attachments

• vector.jpg
    vector.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 990
jmedina94 said:
This is my rendition of the question, not sure if it's the correct way to solve the direction
What I have in mind is this: Put a dot where the passenger is. Then draw the vectors representing the tangential and centripetal acceleration of the passenger. Then draw their sum and see where it points.

Doc Al said:
the tangential and centripetal acceleration
Technically, I think you mean tangential and radial acceleration, though in this case, since r is constant, radial and centripetal will be the same, just opposite sign.

Related to Ferris Wheel question (Motion in 2d)

1. How does a Ferris Wheel move in 2D?

The Ferris Wheel moves in 2D because it rotates around a central axis, allowing for motion in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. What forces are acting on the Ferris Wheel?

The two main forces acting on a Ferris Wheel are gravity and centripetal force. Gravity pulls the riders towards the center of the Earth, while centripetal force acts in the opposite direction to keep the riders moving in a circular path.

3. How does the speed of the Ferris Wheel affect the ride experience?

The speed of the Ferris Wheel affects the ride experience in terms of the forces experienced by the riders. A faster speed means a greater centripetal force, which can create a more thrilling and intense ride experience.

4. Can the Ferris Wheel ever stop moving?

Yes, the Ferris Wheel can stop moving if the motor or power source fails. In this case, the wheel would gradually slow down and eventually come to a stop.

5. Why do Ferris Wheels have different sized carts?

Ferris Wheels have different sized carts to accommodate different numbers of riders and to balance out the weight distribution on the wheel. This ensures that the forces acting on the wheel are evenly distributed and that the ride remains stable.