Fermis golden rule and transition rates

• A
  • Thread starter mupsi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transition
In summary, an electron in a solid under the influence of a perturbation needs to take into account the distribution of states that are close to the perturbed state in order to calculate the mean lifetime.
mupsi
When calculating the mean lifetime of an electron in a solid under the influence of a perturbation (for example electron-phonon interaction) we often apply Fermi's golden rule but the rate always has to be weighted by appropriate distribution functions (for example fermi functions). These take into account wether a given state is occupied of unoccupied and hence a candidate for the transition. Why do we need an "additional" probability for an unoccupied state? I mean, in the context of the Hilbert space the transition of a many-particle state to another isn't different from transitions between one particle states fundamentally. Isn't the probability already contained in the transition rate? In other words: The golden rule states: Given that the electron was in the state A (probability p(A)=1) what is the probability to find it in a continuum of states close to B at a time t? The rate is the time derivative of that probability. Isn't it redundant then to introduce a probability (1-P(B))? I hope I expressed myself clearly.

Physics news on Phys.org
mupsi said:
Given that the electron was in the state A (probability p(A)=1) what is the probability to find it in a continuum of states close to B at a time t? The rate is the time derivative of that probability. Isn't it redundant then to introduce a probability (1-P(B))? I hope I expressed myself clearly.

well it looks very simple that now an electron has to transit between states A and B ... so the probability of the combined states A and B should be 1 . rather than probability of finding the electron in state A is to be 1.

The transition probability is proportional to the density of final states . It is reasonably common for the final state to be composed of several states with the same energy - such states are said to be "degenerate" states. In many cases there will be a continuum of final states, so that this density of final states is expressed as a function of energy.
i think one has to analyze the different terms appearing in the transition probability expression (as in the golden rule) which is a workable approximation.

If you'd calculate the transitions of one particle you would only use the golden rule. The probability to find the electron in the continuum with energy close to Ea would then be an integral of the rate -no distribution function needed. When you use many particle systems you have to use distribution functions additionally. But fundamentally, a transition from a particular one-particle state to another is not different from the transition of a many particle state to another. The underlying math is the same. But why are they treated as if they're different?

*integral over time

Related to Fermis golden rule and transition rates

1. What is Fermi's golden rule?

Fermi's golden rule is a principle in quantum mechanics that calculates the transition rate between two quantum states. It describes the probability of a transition occurring between an initial state and a final state in a given amount of time.

2. How is the transition rate calculated using Fermi's golden rule?

The transition rate is calculated by taking the square of the matrix element between the initial and final states, multiplying it by the density of final states, and then integrating over all possible final states. This is known as the Fermi's golden rule equation:
W = 2π/ħ * |⟨final|H'|initial⟩|² * ρ(final) * dE

3. What factors affect the transition rate according to Fermi's golden rule?

The transition rate is affected by the strength of the interaction between the initial and final states, the density of final states, and the energy difference between the initial and final states. It is also affected by the time duration of the transition and the number of particles in the system.

4. Can Fermi's golden rule be applied to all types of transitions?

No, Fermi's golden rule is specifically applicable to transitions between quantum states in a non-degenerate system, where the energy difference between the initial and final states is small compared to the energy of the initial state. It also assumes that the transition is caused by a weak perturbation.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fermi's golden rule?

Fermi's golden rule has many applications in quantum mechanics, including its use in calculating transition rates in atomic and molecular systems, as well as in the study of optical transitions in semiconductors. It is also used in fields such as nuclear and particle physics to calculate decay rates and cross-sections for particle interactions.