Fermionic Fields in Einstein Field Equations | Explained

In summary, the Palatini formulation of general relativity allows for the inclusion of fermionic matter fields with non-integral spin by considering the metric and connection to be independent and varying with respect to both. This is in contrast to the Einstein-Cartan theory, which requires a non-zero torsion in the connection when including fermionic matter. The Palatini formulation is often referred to as the spin connection and is an elegant approach to finding this connection. To fully understand this concept, it is recommended to study differential geometry from books written by mathematicians. Supergravity books also focus on this issue, but it is important to learn the fundamentals in their proper place before delving into their applications.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the Einstein-Hilbert action wikipedia page, the following paragraph is written:
The Palatini formulation of general relativity assumes the metric and connection to be independent, and varies with respect to both independently, which makes it possible to include fermionic matter fields with non-integral spin.
I thought for treating spin, we need to consider Einstein-Cartan theory! This is really surprising to me. Can anyone suggest a paper or book that explains this in some detail?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement isn't complete.
In fact, when you include fermionic matter the connection needs to get a non-zero torsion.
This is exactly the main 'assumption' in Einstein-Cartan theory.

The Palatini formulation gives a way to find this connection. The connection is often called the spin connection.

If you like GR, do this stuff if you have time. It's pretty elegant in my opinion.

JorisL said:
The statement isn't complete.
In fact, when you include fermionic matter the connection needs to get a non-zero torsion.
This is exactly the main 'assumption' in Einstein-Cartan theory.

The Palatini formulation gives a way to find this connection. The connection is often called the spin connection.

If you like GR, do this stuff if you have time. It's pretty elegant in my opinion.
I do like GR and of course have time for such things but I'm at the level of learning that can only understand people's calculations but can't do such calculations myself!

Look e.g. at the Supergravity notes of Samtleben :) They are very pedagogical, and also treat this issue. I'd say to include fermionic fields, you need the spin-connection and vielbein, which means you write everything in terms of inertial coordinates (fermionic rep's are only describable in the tangent space!). This can be done without the Palatini formulation, so I'm not sure I understand the Wikiquote.

I'm using the Supergravity book by Freedman and Van Proeyen.
It's nicely written, exercises throughout the text when they are appropriate.

As said, the statement is inaccurate. The inclusion of spinor fields in curved spacetime (hence in the presence of gravity) needs gravity treated in the viel/vierbein-spin connection formulation which in turns comes nicely as the fiber bundle formulation of GR. The Palatini formulation is the first-order formulation of the H-E action. The connection is purely classical and no intepretation in terms of fiber bundles is made. It's not reformulated in terms of the viel/vierbein field. I think in order to reach supergravity, one needs Poincare gauge theory first.

Can someone suggest a good mathematical book covering tetrads(or more generally Cartan's formalism)?
You know, I'm a proponent of dexterciboy's signature!
Learn mathematics from books written by mathematicians

Also is there any book out of supergravity literature that focuses on this issue?
Because I'm afraid in such books, any other issue somehow gets "supergravitized"!
I think its better to learn something in the place it belongs to, not in the place where its used.(A natural generalization of dexterciboy's signature:D)

Thanks all

Last edited:
Every sugra book should focus on this issue. Van Proeyen's book or his online lecture notes are good. Samtleben's notes are the most basic ones. But both are physicists :P

Differential Geometry has its own classical books: Lee's books, Spivak's books, 2 vols of Kobayashi and Nomizu and last but not least Husemoller. Books written especially for physicists: T. Frenkel's , either edition of Nakahara or Aldrovandi & Pereira.

Related to Fermionic Fields in Einstein Field Equations | Explained

1. What are fermionic fields?

Fermionic fields are quantum fields that describe particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. These fields are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and are fundamental to our understanding of the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

2. How do fermionic fields relate to Einstein's field equations?

Einstein's field equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. Fermionic fields contribute to this distribution of matter and energy, and their behavior is taken into account when solving for the curvature of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of fermionic fields in the study of relativity?

Fermionic fields play a crucial role in the theory of general relativity as they are one of the sources of energy-momentum that contribute to the curvature of spacetime. This means that fermionic fields are essential for understanding the behavior of spacetime and the effects of gravity on matter.

4. How do fermionic fields differ from bosonic fields?

Fermionic fields and bosonic fields are two types of quantum fields that describe different types of particles. While fermionic fields are associated with particles with half-integer spin, bosonic fields describe particles with integer spin. This fundamental difference leads to distinct mathematical properties and behaviors for these fields.

5. Can fermionic fields be observed or measured?

No, fermionic fields cannot be directly observed or measured. They are mathematical constructs that are used to describe the behavior of particles at a quantum level. However, the effects of fermionic fields can be observed and measured through experiments and observations of the behavior of particles, such as in particle accelerators.