Fermion mass terms in Peskin and Schroeder's book

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used to describe fermion mass terms in "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder. The main points of confusion are the use of dummy indices a and b, which imply a summation over values of a and b, and the meaning of the subscript "a" in $$\overline Q^i_{La}$$ and "b" in $$\phi^{\dagger}_b$$. It is also noted that the term $$\epsilon^{ab}$$ should be equal to $$\epsilon^{ba}$$ and represents a negative value. The conversation also speculates on the possible interpretations of the notation and transformations involved.
Geonaut
TL;DR Summary
I am having some trouble understanding the notation used to describe fermion mass terms in Peskin and Schroeder's book on QFT.
I'm currently looking at how fermion masses are produced via the Higgs mechanism in "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder. It all makes a lot of sense and I've been fine with it so far, but I ended up getting stuck on something that's driving me nuts. I feel silly asking this since it's just a question about notation, but after hours of searching for a clue my brain is turning to mush. You see, to generate fermion masses in the Standard Model they use the equation

$$ \mathcal{L}_m =-\lambda^{ij}_d \overline Q^i_L \cdot \phi d^j_R - \lambda^{ij}_u \epsilon^{ab}\overline Q^i_{La} \phi^{\dagger}_b u^j_R + h.c.$$

With the following equations given in the book it's clear what's going on here for the most part:

$$ \overline Q^i_L =
\begin{pmatrix}
u^i \\
d^i
\end{pmatrix}_L =

\begin{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
u \\
d
\end{pmatrix}_L
,&
\begin{pmatrix}
c \\
s
\end{pmatrix}_L
,&
\begin{pmatrix}
t \\
b
\end{pmatrix}_L
\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

$$u^i_R =
\begin{pmatrix}
u_R ,& c_R ,& t_R
\end{pmatrix}
$$

$$d^i_R =
\begin{pmatrix}
d_R ,& s_R ,& b_R
\end{pmatrix}
$$

The only thing I don't seem to understand is the notation in $$\epsilon^{ab}\overline Q^i_{La} \phi^{\dagger}_b$$. To be specific, what does the "a" in the subscript for $$\overline Q^i_{La}$$ represent? What does the "b" in $$\phi^{\dagger}_b$$ represent? Where does $$\epsilon^{ab}$$ even come from? I would guess that $$\epsilon^{ab} = -\epsilon^{ba}=1$$, but I don't see where this stuff is explained. I would guess that "a" and "b" represent a set of numbers, namely, "a = 1, 2, 3" and "b = 1, 2, 3"... but something isn't adding up. Can someone show me what's going on here? Searching for information as trivial as notation in dense books on QFT is beginning to feel like torture.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geonaut said:
Summary: I am having some trouble understanding the notation used to describe fermion mass terms in Peskin and Schroeder's book on QFT.

I'm currently looking at how fermion masses are produced via the Higgs mechanism in "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder. It all makes a lot of sense and I've been fine with it so far, but I ended up getting stuck on something that's driving me nuts. I feel silly asking this since it's just a question about notation, but after hours of searching for a clue my brain is turning to mush. You see, to generate fermion masses in the Standard Model they use the equation

$$ \mathcal{L}_m =-\lambda^{ij}_d \overline Q^i_L \cdot \phi d^j_R - \lambda^{ij}_u \epsilon^{ab}\overline Q^i_{La} \phi^{\dagger}_b u^j_R + h.c.$$

With the following equations given in the book it's clear what's going on here for the most part:

$$ \overline Q^i_L =
\begin{pmatrix}
u^i \\
d^i
\end{pmatrix}_L =

\begin{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
u \\
d
\end{pmatrix}_L
,&
\begin{pmatrix}
c \\
s
\end{pmatrix}_L
,&
\begin{pmatrix}
t \\
b
\end{pmatrix}_L
\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

$$u^i_R =
\begin{pmatrix}
u_R ,& c_R ,& t_R
\end{pmatrix}
$$

$$d^i_R =
\begin{pmatrix}
d_R ,& s_R ,& b_R
\end{pmatrix}
$$

The only thing I don't seem to understand is the notation in $$\epsilon^{ab}\overline Q^i_{La} \phi^{\dagger}_b$$. To be specific, what does the "a" in the subscript for $$\overline Q^i_{La}$$ represent? What does the "b" in $$\phi^{\dagger}_b$$ represent? Where does $$\epsilon^{ab}$$ even come from? I would guess that $$\epsilon^{ab} = -\epsilon^{ba}=1$$, but I don't see where this stuff is explained. I would guess that "a" and "b" represent a set of numbers, namely, "a = 1, 2, 3" and "b = 1, 2, 3"... but something isn't adding up. Can someone show me what's going on here? Searching for information as trivial as notation in dense books on QFT is beginning to feel like torture.
I might be completely wrong here - but is a summation implied in

$$\epsilon^{ab}\overline Q^i_{La} \phi^{\dagger}_b$$

The indices a and b are dummies and imply a sum over values of a and b which occur in upper and lower positions. For instance an inner product is written ##\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v} = u_j v^j## and a linear transformation as ##u^a=M^{ab}v_b##

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_notation

Likes Geonaut
Yes, I agree with that, I think they are using Einstein notation, but what I meant to ask is: if $$\overline Q^i_{L}$$ is a doublet of three left handed quark particle generations then what is $$\overline Q^i_{La}$$? It seems to be a group of doublets, but for what particles? I would also guess that $$\phi^{\dagger}_b$$ represents three complex fields, but for what 3 particles? I think maybe $$\overline Q^i_{La}$$ is all of the possible quark doublets which includes chiral quarks, and so "i = 1, 2" since there is two different chiral fields which differ in the fact that they transform like:

$$\psi_1 \rightarrow (1 + i\alpha^a t^a (\frac{1-\gamma^5}{2}))\psi_1)$$$$\psi_2 \rightarrow (1 + i\alpha^a t^a (\frac{1+\gamma^5}{2}))\psi_2)$$

, but I don't know for sure. In fact, they don't even mention both of these transformations that I just wrote down, I'm just guessing (unless I missed this somewhere, of course).

Moreover, I'd also guess that the three complex scalar fields that $$\phi_b^{\dagger}$$ represents corresponds to three massless scalar particles that exist before spontaneous symmetry breaking, and that after spontaneous symmetry breaking these three particles become 2 goldstone bosons and the 1 higgs particle. I think that's right, but it doesn't seem to all be explicitly stated... as far as I can tell.

Also, I just noticed that the term $$\epsilon^{ab}$$ should be equal to $$\epsilon^{ba}$$ since these fermion mass terms have to be negative... and with that, I think I have answers now to all of the questions that I had about this. The only question left is if I'm misunderstanding any of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the first look, ##i,j## should be the labels for the generation (running from 1 to 3), and ##a,b## label the components of the ##SU(2)## doublets (running from 1 to 2). Both ##\bar{Q}_L^i## and ##\Phi## are two component objects, i.e.

##\bar{Q}_L^i= \left(\begin{array}{c} u^i_L \\ d^i_L\end{array}\right)##

##\Phi = \left(\begin{array}{c} \Phi_1 \\ \Phi_2\end{array}\right)##

So ##\bar{Q}_{L1}^1 = u_L##, ##\bar{Q}_{L2}^1 = d_L## and so on for the other generations. ##\epsilon^{ab}## should then indeed be ##\epsilon^{ab}=-\epsilon^{ba}##, basically exchanging the first and second component of ##\Phi^\dagger## so that ##u^i## (instead of ##d^i##) is multiplied by the second component of ##\Phi## (which is the one that will conventionally obtain a non-zero vev).

Last edited:
Likes Geonaut and vanhees71
That's it! Note that the two different types of Yukawa coupling for the quarks besides weak-isospin SU(2) symmetry also take into account hypercharge conservation at each vertex. In the SM there's only one type of Yukawa terms for the leptons, because the neutrino masses are not taken into account and thus there are no right-handed neutrinos.

Likes Geonaut
@Dr.AbeNikIanEdL, thank you! And sorry, the reply a wrote last night was a little sloppy, I was really tired, but I'm glad that didn't matter. It's funny, I actually considered your answer at one point, I reverse engineered it, but I was confused why they'd use this notation at all and so I ended up way overthinking things. Anyway, that makes a lot of sense because it gives you the right terms after you give the scalar field a VEV. ##\epsilon^{ab}=-\epsilon^{ba}## makes sense now too since ##\phi_1## is imaginary and ##\phi_2## is real, it seems you need this to account for an extra negative sign that appears when you take the complex conjugate of ##\phi##.

The reason of course is that for two SU(2) spinors ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## both ##\phi_1^{\dagger} \phi## and ##\phi_1^{\text{T}} \hat{\epsilon} \phi_2## are scalars. For the first term it's simple. Take an SU(2) matrix ##\hat{U}## and define ##\phi_1'=\hat{U} \phi_1## and ##\phi_2'=\hat{U} \phi_2##. Then
$$\phi_1^{\prime \dagger} u_2'=\phi_1 ^{\dagger} \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{U} \phi_2=\phi_1^{\dagger} \phi_2.$$
That's, because as for any unitary matrix you have ##\hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{U}=\hat{U} \hat{U}^{\dagger}=\hat{1}##.

For the 2nd expression you get
$$\phi_1^{\prime \text{T}} \hat{\eta} \phi_2^{\prime}=\phi^{1 \text{T}} \hat{U}^{\text{T}} \hat{\epsilon} \hat{U} \phi_2,$$
but now
$$(\hat{U}^{\text{T}} \hat{\epsilon} \hat{U})_{ab}=U_{ca} \epsilon_{cd} U_{db} =\epsilon_{ab} \det \hat{U}=\epsilon_{ab}.$$
Thus for any SU(2) matrix (even for any ##\text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}## matrix in fact) you have
$$\hat{U}^{\text{T}} \hat{\epsilon} \hat{U}=\hat{\epsilon},$$
and thus indeed ##\phi_1^{\text{T}} \hat{\epsilon} \phi_2## is indeed an invariant under ##\text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C})## and thus also under SU(2)-transformations.

Related to Fermion mass terms in Peskin and Schroeder's book

1. What are Fermion mass terms in Peskin and Schroeder's book?

Fermion mass terms refer to the mathematical expressions that describe the mass of fermions, which are particles that have half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. These terms are derived from the fundamental equations of quantum field theory and are an important aspect of understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. Why are Fermion mass terms important in quantum field theory?

Fermion mass terms are crucial in quantum field theory because they explain the origin of mass in particles. According to the Standard Model of particle physics, fermions acquire mass through their interactions with the Higgs field. Understanding the mass terms of fermions helps us understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles.

3. How do Fermion mass terms affect the behavior of particles?

Fermion mass terms play a significant role in determining the properties and behavior of particles. For example, the mass terms of fermions affect their interactions with other particles, their stability, and their ability to travel at different speeds. These terms also contribute to the overall energy and momentum of a particle and can affect its decay rate.

4. Can Fermion mass terms change over time?

Yes, Fermion mass terms can change over time. In quantum field theory, particles are described as excitations of their respective fields, and these fields can change and interact with each other. Therefore, the mass terms of fermions can change as the particles interact with other particles or fields, and this can affect their behavior and properties.

5. Are Fermion mass terms the same for all types of fermions?

No, Fermion mass terms vary for different types of fermions. In the Standard Model, there are six types of quarks and six types of leptons, each with their unique mass terms. These mass terms are determined by the particle's properties, such as its charge and its interactions with other particles and fields. Therefore, the mass terms of fermions can differ depending on the type of fermion being described.