Fermion Gas Problems: Avg Speed & Density Comparison

Comparing this to the density of water, which is approximately 1000 kg/m^3, we can see that the density of the electron gas is much higher.In summary, we can find the average speed of electrons in a fermion gas by using the formula for Fermi velocity and the number density of electrons. The density of the electron gas can be found by using the formula for density. The density of the electron gas in a white dwarf is much higher than that of water.
ben133

Homework Statement

Consider the collapse of the Sun into a white dwarf. For the Sun, [tex]M = 2 \times 10^{30} kg[/tex],
[tex]R = 7 \times 10^{8}m[/tex], [tex]V = 1.4 \times 10^{27}m^{3}[/tex] .

(c) What is the average speed of the electrons in the fermion gas?

(d) What is the density of the electron gas? Compare it with the density of water?

Homework Equations

(Note: For a
star with mass greater than a critical value of 1.44 times the mass of the Sun, the collapse
continues beyond the white dwarf stage as gravitational attraction overcomes the electron
pressure. The result is a very dense neutron star that eventually ends in a supernova
explosion.) ([tex] 0.39 kg m^{3} [/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I must admit, I haven't a clue. I've read through my textbook (Huang) and can't find any hints on were to start off. Any help with a starting point folks?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first like to clarify the question and make sure I understand the context correctly. The forum post is discussing the collapse of the Sun into a white dwarf, and the question is asking for the average speed of electrons in the fermion gas and the density of the electron gas. The given values for mass, radius, and volume are for the Sun, and the note mentions a critical value for the mass of a star that determines whether it will collapse into a white dwarf or continue collapsing into a neutron star. Is this correct?

Assuming my understanding is correct, we can start by looking at the properties of a white dwarf. A white dwarf is a highly dense star made up of degenerate fermions, mainly electrons. This means that the electrons are packed so closely together that they are no longer able to occupy the same energy states due to the Pauli exclusion principle.

To find the average speed of the electrons in the fermion gas, we can use the formula for Fermi velocity: v = (hc/4π)(3n/8π)^1/3, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and n is the number density of electrons. To find n, we can use the formula for number density: n = N/V, where N is the total number of electrons and V is the volume of the gas.

Plugging in the given values for the Sun, we get:
n = (M/m_e)(1/V) = (2 x 10^30 kg)/(9.11 x 10^-31 kg)(1.4 x 10^27 m^3) = 1.74 x 10^33 m^-3

Using this value for n in the formula for Fermi velocity, we get:
v = (hc/4π)(3(1.74 x 10^33)/8π)^1/3 = 2.53 x 10^6 m/s

This is the average speed of the electrons in the fermion gas in a white dwarf.

To find the density of the electron gas, we can use the formula for density: ρ = m/V, where m is the mass of the gas and V is the volume. In this case, the mass of the gas is the same as the mass of the Sun. So, we get:
ρ = (2 x 10^30 kg)/(1.4 x

Related to Fermion Gas Problems: Avg Speed & Density Comparison

1. What is a fermion gas?

A fermion gas is a type of gas composed of particles called fermions, which follow the Pauli exclusion principle. This means that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time.

2. How is the average speed of fermion gas particles calculated?

The average speed of fermion gas particles can be calculated using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the temperature, mass, and density of the particles.

3. What factors affect the average speed of fermion gas particles?

The average speed of fermion gas particles is affected by the temperature, mass, and density of the particles. Higher temperatures and lower particle masses result in higher average speeds, while higher densities lead to lower average speeds.

4. What is the relationship between density and average speed in a fermion gas?

In a fermion gas, as the density increases, the average speed decreases. This is because as the density increases, the particles are more likely to collide with each other, resulting in a decrease in average speed.

5. How does the density of a fermion gas compare to other types of gases?

The density of a fermion gas is typically lower than that of other types of gases, such as boson gases or classical ideal gases. This is due to the Pauli exclusion principle, which limits the number of fermions that can occupy a given space, resulting in a lower density of particles.