Fermi Golden Rule: Conservation of Energy

• Thread starter mahblah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fermi
In summary, the Fermi golden rule can be written as W_{fi} = \sum{\frac{d P_{fi}}{dt}} = \frac{2 \pi}{\hbar} \sum_{f} |V_{fi}|^2 \delta(\varepsilon_f - \varepsilon_i), where "i" and "f" represent the initial and final state, respectively, and the sum is taken over an ensemble of final states. The delta function ensures that the energy difference between the two states is equal to 0, meaning that the initial and final states are the same. This is due to the conservation of energy, although the external potential V (which is turned on at t=0
mahblah
A way to write Fermi golden rule is
[itex] W_{fi} = \sum{\frac{d P_{fi}}{dt}} = \frac{2 \pi}{\hbar} \sum_{f} |V_{fi}|^2 \delta(\varepsilon_f - \varepsilon_i) [/itex]

where "i" is the initial unperturbed state and "f" is the final state of an ensemble of final states (i sum over them).

But because of [itex] \delta( \varepsilon_f - \varepsilon_i) [/itex] I'm asking [itex] ( \varepsilon_f - \varepsilon_i) =0 [/itex], so the inital and final state are the same??

they say that because of conservation energy must be [itex] ( \varepsilon_f - \varepsilon_i) =0 [/itex], but the external potential [itex]V[/itex] (i turn it on at time t=0) does not change the energy of the system (so it should be [itex] \varepsilon_f \neq \varepsilon_i[/itex])?

thanks all and sorry for my english,
MahBlah.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at Messiah, Ch XVII, Sect I.4 where he has a good explanation of this. Energy does not have to be conserved, since you turned V on at t=0. However the energy disconserving transitions (away from the peak of the delta function) have a finite probability. Whereas the conserving ones (near the peak) have a probability that grows linearly with time, hence the transition rate w = dW/dt is finite.

Related to Fermi Golden Rule: Conservation of Energy

What is the Fermi Golden Rule?

The Fermi Golden Rule is a mathematical formula that describes the rate at which quantum systems transition from one energy state to another. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

How does the Fermi Golden Rule relate to the conservation of energy?

The Fermi Golden Rule is derived from the fundamental principle of conservation of energy. This rule states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant, meaning that any changes in energy must be balanced by corresponding changes in other parts of the system. In the context of quantum systems, the Fermi Golden Rule describes how energy is conserved during transitions between energy states.

Can the Fermi Golden Rule be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the Fermi Golden Rule can be applied to any quantum system, as long as certain conditions are met. These conditions include having a well-defined initial and final energy state, and having a perturbation (a disturbance to the system) that drives the transition between the two states. In general, the rule is most commonly used in systems with a large number of energy levels, such as atoms or molecules.

What are the limitations of the Fermi Golden Rule?

While the Fermi Golden Rule is a useful tool for understanding the dynamics of quantum systems, it does have its limitations. One of the main limitations is that it assumes the perturbation causing the transition happens instantaneously, when in reality, this is not always the case. Additionally, the rule does not take into account other factors that may influence the transition, such as external forces or interactions with the environment.

How is the Fermi Golden Rule used in practical applications?

The Fermi Golden Rule is used in a variety of practical applications, particularly in the fields of atomic and molecular physics, quantum chemistry, and materials science. It is commonly used to study the properties of atoms and molecules, as well as to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It has also been applied in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and photovoltaic devices.