Fermi energy of multiple electrons, infinite potential well

In summary, the Fermi energy level at T = 0 K for 5 free electrons in a three-dimensional infinite potential well with all three widths equal to 12 angstroms is at the (123) state, according to the problem 3.34 solution manual for "Semiconductor Physics and Devices" by Neamen. However, this does not make sense as it should be at the (233) state based on the filling of states method.
ricardillo

Homework Statement

[/B]
Five free electrons exist in a three-dimensional infinite potential well with all three widths equal to a 12 angstroms. Determine the Fermi energy level at T 0 K.

Homework Equations

E = [(h_bar*pi)2/(2*m*a2)]*(nx2 + ny2 + nz2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using EF = (h_bar2/2*m)*(3*pi2*N/V)(2/3) but no luck; found the solution manual online, but the answer doesn't make sense:

"For a 3D infinite potential well,

E = [(h_bar*pi)2/(2*m*a2)]*(nx2 + ny2 + nz2) = E0*(nx2 + ny2 + nz2).

For 5 electrons, energy state corresponding to nx ny nz = 221 contains both an electron and an empty state, so

EF = E0*(22 + 22 + 12)..." (plug in values and solve from here on)

My question is, why does the 221 state "contain both an electron and an empty state"? It seems like the 5 electrons should fill up only the 111 and 211 levels since 111 has room for two states and 211 has room for six.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give the link to the solution you found?

Ah ok, sorry I was a bit confused because I forgot that ##n_i## starts from one instead of zero.
ricardillo said:
EF = (h_bar2/2*m)*(3*pi2*N/V)(2/3
This is an approximate formula when the number of electron is very large. For 5 electrons you have to count the possible states one after another starting from the lowest one, which is (111). Neglecting spin, if you have 5 electrons, which level you will end up to if you add the electrons one by one from (111) state?

If we include degeneracy, then there's one electron in (111), three in (112) and one in (122) with two states left over at that level. However, if I try the same method for thirteen electrons, as in part (b), I'd only get to level (123) rather than the (233) level given by the solution.
Is there something wrong with the way I'm filling up states?

Likes Anik Paul
ricardillo said:
If we include degeneracy, then there's one electron in (111), three in (112) and one in (122) with two states left over at that level. However, if I try the same method for thirteen electrons, as in part (b), I'd only get to level (123) rather than the (233) level given by the solution.
Is there something wrong with the way I'm filling up states?
I am also facing the same problem.

Anik Paul said:
I am also facing the same problem.
I don't see how the manual arrived at its solution. The Fermi energy should be at (123).

Related to Fermi energy of multiple electrons, infinite potential well

1. What is the Fermi energy of a system with multiple electrons in an infinite potential well?

The Fermi energy of a system with multiple electrons in an infinite potential well is the highest energy level occupied by the electrons at 0 Kelvin. It represents the energy required to add another electron to the system, and is often used to determine the electronic properties of materials.

2. How is the Fermi energy related to the electron density in a material?

The Fermi energy is directly proportional to the electron density in a material. This means that as the electron density increases, the Fermi energy also increases. The relationship between the two is given by the Fermi-Dirac distribution function.

3. Why is the Fermi energy important in determining the electrical conductivity of materials?

The Fermi energy plays a crucial role in determining the electrical conductivity of materials because it represents the energy level at which electrons are most likely to be found. In materials with high electron density, the Fermi energy is also high, making it easier for electrons to move and thus increasing the material's conductivity.

4. How does the size of the infinite potential well affect the Fermi energy?

The size of the infinite potential well has a direct impact on the Fermi energy. As the size of the well decreases, the energy level spacing between electrons increases, leading to a higher Fermi energy. Conversely, a larger potential well will have a lower Fermi energy due to smaller energy level spacing.

5. Can the Fermi energy be altered by external factors?

Yes, the Fermi energy can be altered by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields. These external factors can change the electron density in a material, thus affecting the Fermi energy. This makes the Fermi energy a useful tool for studying the electronic properties of materials under different conditions.