Fermi distribution: Sum over states --> integral over states

In summary, my professor is integrating an equation where some terms are multiplied by a factor of 1/8.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~kolausen/TFY4230/.oldExams/17_eksdes12.en.pdf
solution: http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~kolausen/TFY4230/.oldExams/18_losdes12.en.pdf

Look at problem 4a, formula (27) or the expression between (29) and (30).

My professor keeps converting sums into integrals in a manner I don't understand. In fact, I think he might be wrong and miss a factor of 1/8. OK let me explain what I mean:

For instance, when calculating the total number of particles ##N## by summing the number of particles per state, ##N_k##, at ##T=0## he does this:

$$N=\sum_k N_k = \sum_k ln(\frac{1}{1+e^{\beta( \mu + E_k}}) \rightarrow \int_0^{\infty} \frac{dk}{(2 \pi)^3/L^3} 4 \pi k^2 ln(\frac{1}{1+e^{\beta( \mu + E_k}})$$, where ##k_x = 2 \pi n_x/L##, ##k_y = 2 \pi n_y/L## and ##k_z = 2 \pi n_z/L##

OK, so he inserts a factor ## (\Delta k)^3 / (\Delta k)^3 ##, where ##\Delta k = 2 \pi /L##, into the sum, and since ##L## is very large the sum becomes a Riemann sum and thus can be rewritten into a volume-integral over the k-space.

BUT: my professor integrates over ALL of the volume in k-space, even for negative ##k_x##, ##k_y## and ##k_z##! That is unphysical, since neither ##n_x,n_y## or ##n_z## can be negative. In fact, the only legal way to integrate this is by integrating over the octant of space where all three k-axises are positive. Hence you must multiply the integral with a factor of ##1/8##, which my professor doesn't do .

Please help I have my exam on friday!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:
That is unphysical, since neither ##n_x,n_y## or ##n_z## can be negative.
That is not correct. The problem statement itself mentions that the n's can be positive and negative. Note that the starting point is a particle in a box with periodic boundary conditions.

Likes Nikitin
wow. this is embarrassing. OK thanks, problem solved..

Related to Fermi distribution: Sum over states --> integral over states

1. What is the Fermi distribution?

The Fermi distribution, also known as the Fermi-Dirac distribution, is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It was developed by physicists Enrico Fermi and Paul Dirac to explain the behavior of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) in a system.

2. What does "sum over states" mean in the context of the Fermi distribution?

"Sum over states" refers to the process of calculating the total number of available energy states for a given system. In the context of the Fermi distribution, this refers to summing over all possible energy states that a fermion can occupy at a given temperature.

3. How does the Fermi distribution relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The Fermi distribution takes this principle into account by assigning a probability of 1 for the lowest energy state, and decreasing probabilities for higher energy states as more fermions occupy them.

4. Why is the "sum over states" concept replaced with an integral in the Fermi distribution?

In some cases, the number of energy states in a system may be infinite, making it impossible to perform a sum over all states. In these cases, an integral can be used to approximate the sum and calculate the probability distribution of the fermions in the system.

5. How is the Fermi distribution used in practical applications?

The Fermi distribution is widely used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of fermions in various systems, such as electrons in metals and neutrons in a neutron star. It is also used in statistical mechanics to calculate thermodynamic properties of fermionic systems, such as heat capacity and entropy.