Fermi Dirac distribution function

In summary: Correct, but in your example, the density of states would also make the function vanish for ε > 0.The density of states makes the function vanish for ε > 0.In summary, the function f(-\epsilon) vanishes for negative energy states below the chemical potential.
Physicslad78
I have a question that is puzzling me as always...The Fermi-Dirac distribution function is (at T=0):

f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{e^{\beta(\epsilon-\epsilon_{F})}+1}[/tex] and we know that we can subsitute f[tex]\epsilon[/tex] by 1 for [tex]\epsilon[/tex]< [tex]\epsilon_{F}[/tex] and 0 otherwise. However what is f(-[tex]\epsilon[/tex])? The answer is easy when [tex]\epsilon_{F}[/tex]=0 but what if [tex]\epsilon_{F}[/tex] is not zero. what would be ff(-[tex]\epsilon[/tex])? for [tex]\epsilon[/tex]< [tex]\epsilon_{F}[/tex]?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physicslad78,

I'm a bit confused by your question. You state correctly that the Fermi function at zero temperature implies that any state with energy less than the chemical potential is occupied with probability one. This statement also applies to any negative energy states that may exist below the chemical potential. Is this what you were confused about?

As [itex]T \rightarrow 0[/itex],

[tex]f(\varepsilon) = \frac{1}{\exp\lrft[\beta(\varepsilon - \varepsilon_F)\right] + 1} \rightarrow \Theta(\varepsilon - \varepsilon_F),[/tex]
which is the Heaviside step function, which is zero for e < e_F and 1 for e > e_F. If you replace e with -e, the equalities just get reversed: it's 0 for e > - e_F and 1 for e < -e_F.

Mute said:
If you replace e with -e, the equalities just get reversed: it's 0 for e > - e_F and 1 for e < -e_F.
If I understand the OP's question, this is not merely a question of a sign convention. Rather, it is asking what the function does for E<0, when E_F >0. That question is answered by Physics Monkey above.

Thanks guys for all of your replies.. What I wanted to know is that when does f (-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]) vanish and when it is one. I guess Mute answered the question but he reversed the cases. i tried to plot f (-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]) and found that is it is 1 for [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>-[tex]\epsilon_{F}[/tex] and 0 otherwise. The situation I am in is I am trying to integrate the following:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}[/tex](f([tex]\epsilon[/tex])-f(-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]))([tex]\frac{1}{\omega\hbar-2\epsilon}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{\omega\hbar+2\epsilon}[/tex]. I want to know how the Fermi Dirac functions behave. If we divide the first integral into two: [tex]\int_{0}^{E_{F}[/tex]+[tex]\int_{E_F}^{\infty}[/tex] so that the first term gives an f([tex]\epsilon[/tex]) of 1 while the second vanishes..Now for f (-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]), I think i can perform the change of variable x= -[tex]\epsilon[/tex] so that dx= -d[tex]\epsilon[/tex] and the integral limits now go from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to 0 but now we can write - [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0}[/tex] is [tex]\int_{0}^{+\infty}[/tex] which then also gives 1 so that the total would be 2 trimes the remaining functions to be integrated which will give Log i guess...Is that right??

Yes, probably, but you should keep in mind that your Hamiltonian is usually bounded from below, that is there is a minimal epsilon, which often is taken to be 0. For values of epsilon below, there is no FD function as there are no states to be occupied.

Isn't this just a matter of density of states? I mean, the Fermi-Dirac function covers the entire domain -∞ < ε < +∞, regardless. However, the density of states can, for instance, make the occupation number vanish for ε < 0, right?

Related to Fermi Dirac distribution function

What is the Fermi-Dirac distribution function?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution function is a mathematical function used to describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain energy state in a system at thermal equilibrium. It was developed by Enrico Fermi and Paul Dirac in the early 20th century to explain the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons.

What is the physical significance of the Fermi energy in the Fermi-Dirac distribution function?

The Fermi energy is a measure of the highest energy state occupied by a particle at absolute zero temperature. In the Fermi-Dirac distribution function, the Fermi energy is used as a reference point to determine the probability of finding a particle in a certain energy state. It is also an important concept in understanding the properties of metals and semiconductors.

How does temperature affect the Fermi-Dirac distribution function?

As temperature increases, the Fermi-Dirac distribution function becomes broader and flatter, indicating that there is a higher probability of finding particles in higher energy states. At very high temperatures, the distribution approaches a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, where all energy states have an equal probability of being occupied.

What is the difference between the Fermi-Dirac distribution function and the Bose-Einstein distribution function?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution function describes the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, while the Bose-Einstein distribution function describes the behavior of particles with integer spin, such as photons. Additionally, the Fermi-Dirac distribution is subject to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical particles can occupy the same quantum state, while the Bose-Einstein distribution is not.

How is the Fermi-Dirac distribution function used in physics and engineering?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution function is used in various fields of physics and engineering, including solid state physics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is used to understand the behavior of electrons in metals and semiconductors, as well as the properties of degenerate matter in astrophysics. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells.