Feel of physical quantities - help

In summary, pressure is how much force is applied over a small area. This can be different depending on the pressure, and can be felt by humans.
madhuresh

Homework Statement

how can i have a feel of pressure ... i mean how much is 1 psi and how much is 10 psi pressure ... can you please give an example !

Homework Equations

i think pressure = force / area but still i don't undersatnd how much is 1 Newton ... i mean i don't get a feel of it ...!

The Attempt at a Solution

lets say I am 65 Kg and i do standard dips or say pullups then the kind of force i feel in my hands is = 65 kg* 9.8 N/kg / 2 = 325 N now how much pressure will lift me say my hands are 15 cm by 5 cm then its like 0.000075 m square then f/ Area pressure is like huge ...??
still don't get feel
any exam[ples of psi etc

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi madhuresh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Experiment:

Apparatus:

One girlfriend. One shoe (ordinary heel). One shoe (high heel, with reduced area). One sonic painometer.

Method:

i] get your girlfriend to stand on your foot in an ordinary heel.

ii] get your girlfriend to stand on your foot in a high heel.

Measurement:

Using the sonic painometer, record the level of sound produced.

This is caused by the difference in pressure. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi madhuresh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Experiment:

Apparatus:

One girlfriend. One shoe (ordinary heel). One shoe (high heel, with reduced area). One sonic painometer.

Method:

i] get your girlfriend to stand on your foot in an ordinary heel.

ii] get your girlfriend to stand on your foot in a high heel.

Measurement:

Using the sonic painometer, record the level of sound produced.

This is caused by the difference in pressure. :wink:

For analytic-quality results, you could replace the foot with the crotch.

In all seriousness though, one Newton is roughly 0.1 kgf, if you were to hold a 100 gram object in the palm of your hand, you'd feel it exerting around 1 Newton of force.

This table is pretty useful for getting your head around the different units for pressure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(pressure )
I recommend you compare things to atmospheric pressure, which is the pressure with which the air above you and around you is pressing down on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
madhuresh said:

Homework Statement

how can i have a feel of pressure ... i mean how much is 1 psi and how much is 10 psi pressure ... can you please give an example !

Homework Equations

i think pressure = force / area but still i don't undersatnd how much is 1 Newton ... i mean i don't get a feel of it ...!

• 1 psi is the pressure increase when you are 2 feet underwater. Not huge, but noticeable.
  • 10 psi is when you are 20 feet underwater.
  • 100-200 psi is when somebody steps on your foot, with all their weight on their heel. Between uncomfortable and painful.
  • 1 Newton is about the same as a 3 or 4 ounce weight. It is not much force, by everyday human standards.
  • Most (adult) people weigh between 500 and 1000 Newtons.
Hope that helps.

Wow those are some hilarious responses. I have a good one though

A typical psychotic physics teacher's example of the difference between pressure and force is the bed of nails. I think you can imagine the pain one would feel if you just let your body lay down on 3 nails or 1 nail. That's a force over a small area = high pressure = high pain. Now, if you constructed a bed of nails with hundreds of nails built in and were to lay down on it, you wouldn't feel much, let alone be sent to the hospital! That is an example of that same force over a much bigger area = lower pressure = lower insurance premiums. Don't try this at home but you can surely imagine the differences in pressure I hope. Remember, your body is always applying your weight on whatever is holding you up, no matter how spread out that force is applied.

wow soo many responses

i got it the feel of Psi, N , and this forum also, how people respond !

i will stick here !

ohh well...thanks all

Related to Feel of physical quantities - help

1. What is the feel of physical quantities?

The feel of physical quantities refers to our understanding and perception of the physical properties and measurements of objects and phenomena in the world around us. It involves our sensory experiences and how we interpret and make sense of the various physical quantities that we encounter.

2. How can I improve my feel of physical quantities?

Improving your feel of physical quantities involves actively engaging with and practicing using different physical quantities in real-world situations. This can include conducting experiments, solving problems, and visualizing and manipulating physical quantities in your mind.

3. Why is having a good feel of physical quantities important?

Having a good feel of physical quantities is important because it allows us to better understand and interact with the world around us. It also helps us make more accurate predictions and measurements, and enables us to apply scientific principles to real-world situations.

4. What are some common physical quantities and their units of measurement?

Some common physical quantities include length (meter), mass (kilogram), time (second), temperature (kelvin), and electric current (ampere). Other examples include speed (meters per second), volume (cubic meter), and energy (joule).

5. How can I use physical quantities to solve real-world problems?

Physical quantities can be used to solve real-world problems by applying mathematical equations and principles to analyze and understand various phenomena and make predictions. This can be done through experimentation, data analysis, and critical thinking skills.