Feedback on Practice Exercises

In summary, there are a total of 45 ways to answer a question on a multiple choice test if you can leave the answer blank.
WanderingMind
Thread moved from the technical Math forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
Hello,
I am just looking for some feedback (whether my answers and reasoning is correct) on some practice exercises I am doing. The subject is currently Combinatorics (didn't see a category for that so i just placed this in general math).

Problem 1:

There are 18 mathematics majors and 325 computer science majors at a college.
a) In how many ways can two representatives be picked so that one is a mathematics major and the other is a computer science major?
My answer is 325!/307!

b) In how many ways can one representative be picked who is either a mathematics major or a computer science major?
My answer is 343

Problem 2:

An office building contains 27 floors and has 37 offices on each floor. How many offices are in the building?
My answer is 2737.

Problem 3:

A multiple choice test contains 10 questions. There are four possible answers for each question.
a) In how many ways can a student answer the questions on the test if the student answers every question?
My answer is 410.

b) In how many ways can a student answer the questions on the test if the student can leave answers blank?
My answer is 210 * 410

Problem 4:

A particular brand of shirt comes in 12 colors, has a male and a female version, and comes in three sizes for each sex. How many different types of this shirt are made?
My answer is 72

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Your answer to #2 does not look correct to me. Can you show your reasoning?

1a seems wrong to me. You are essentially asking how many ways can you pick one CS major and one Math major. This should be pretty straightforward. For each choice of one mathematician, you have x number of choices for CS major. If you have y mathematicians, you have xy combinations. If AB is not the same as BA, meaning that order matters, then you would multiply by the number of ways to order 2 items. In this case, the question sounds like order does not matter.

Problem 2, try drawing a picture. Do you have any idea how big 27^37 is? The problem describes a realistic building layout.

3b- Why 2^10 * 4^10? Are there 4 ways to leave the problem blank too? Blank should be seen as a 5th option for response.

The rest look right.

WanderingMind said:
Hello,
I am just looking for some feedback (whether my answers and reasoning is correct) on some practice exercises I am doing. The subject is currently Combinatorics (didn't see a category for that so i just placed this in general math).

Problem 1:

There are 18 mathematics majors and 325 computer science majors at a college.
a) In how many ways can two representatives be picked so that one is a mathematics major and the other is a computer science major?
My answer is 325!/307!

b) In how many ways can one representative be picked who is either a mathematics major or a computer science major?
My answer is 343

Problem 2:

An office building contains 27 floors and has 37 offices on each floor. How many offices are in the building?
My answer is 2737.

Problem 3:

A multiple choice test contains 10 questions. There are four possible answers for each question.
a) In how many ways can a student answer the questions on the test if the student answers every question?
My answer is 410.

b) In how many ways can a student answer the questions on the test if the student can leave answers blank?
My answer is 210 * 410

Problem 4:

A particular brand of shirt comes in 12 colors, has a male and a female version, and comes in three sizes for each sex. How many different types of this shirt are made?
My answer is 72

For problem 1: your answer for (a) is a bit too large:
you get 1013156035751856671370085834080581020876800000, but the actual answer is less than 10000 (exact value known to me). Your answer to (b) is OK.

For problem 2: I cannot figure out how you get ##27^{37} = ## 91297581665113611259115979754590511595360241199911147. I get between 800 and 1800---I'll let you work out the exact answer.

For problem (3) (a): your answer is OK.

For problem (4): your answer is OK.

Last edited:
3b is not okay.
2^10*4^10 = 8^10, implying that there would be 8 options for each of the 10 questions.

To really overcomplicate the problem, you could say that the number of ways to respond is equal to:
##\sum_{i=0}^{10} \begin{pmatrix} 10\\i \end{pmatrix} 4^i ## indicating that for each i being the number of questions answered, you have 4 ways to answer the question. Summing up all those options is messy.

q's answered: # ways to answer
0 questions: 1
1 question: 10*4
2 questions: 45*16
9 questions: 45*4^9
10 questions: 4^10

However, you might recall the binomial expansion
##(a + b) ^ n = \sum_{i=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n\\i \end{pmatrix} a^i b^{n-i}##.
If you let b = 1, a = 4, and n = 10, you will get the same sum formula I proposed above.

RUber said:
3b is not okay.
2^10*4^10 = 8^10, implying that there would be 8 options for each of the 10 questions.

To really overcomplicate the problem, you could say that the number of ways to respond is equal to:
##\sum_{i=0}^{10} \begin{pmatrix} 10\\i \end{pmatrix} 4^i ## indicating that for each i being the number of questions answered, you have 4 ways to answer the question. Summing up all those options is messy.

q's answered: # ways to answer
0 questions: 1
1 question: 10*4
2 questions: 45*16
9 questions: 45*4^9
10 questions: 4^10

However, you might recall the binomial expansion
##(a + b) ^ n = \sum_{i=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n\\i \end{pmatrix} a^i b^{n-i}##.
If you let b = 1, a = 4, and n = 10, you will get the same sum formula I proposed above.

If a question can be left blank, each question has 5 "answers"---actual answers 1--4 and 'blank'. So, is it not just like 3(a) but with 5 instead of 4?

Ray Vickson said:
If a question can be left blank, each question has 5 "answers"---actual answers 1--4 and 'blank'. So, is it not just like 3(a) but with 5 instead of 4?

That was the point I was trying to make.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Your answer to #2 does not look correct to me. Can you show your reasoning?

My reasoning was that each floor contains 36 offices. I clearly used the wrong notation here, I should have taken the product of the numbers.

Likes berkeman
Could you clarify the solution to 1a please. I admit that factorials do confuse me at the moment.

For 1a, you have 325 CS majors and 18 Math majors.
The question asks how many ways can you choose two people such that 1 is a CS major and 1 is a math major.
I am assuming that order doesn't matter.
There are 325 options for CS majors and 18 options for Math majors.
That is to say, for each of the 325 CS majors, there are 18 possible Math major partners.
There are no factorials needed in this problem. This is simple multiplication.

325! is the total number of different ways you can arrange all 325 CS majors.
325!/307! would be the total number of ways you could arrange 18 CS majors.
And
325!/( 307! 18!) is the total number of ways you could choose 18 CS majors from the pool of 325, when order of selection does not matter.

RUber said:
For 1a, you have 325 CS majors and 18 Math majors.
The question asks how many ways can you choose two people such that 1 is a CS major and 1 is a math major.
I am assuming that order doesn't matter.
There are 325 options for CS majors and 18 options for Math majors.
That is to say, for each of the 325 CS majors, there are 18 possible Math major partners.
There are no factorials needed in this problem. This is simple multiplication.

325! is the total number of different ways you can arrange all 325 CS majors.
325!/307! would be the total number of ways you could arrange 18 CS majors.
And
325!/( 307! 18!) is the total number of ways you could choose 18 CS majors from the pool of 325, when order of selection does not matter.

Thank you, now I get it

Related to Feedback on Practice Exercises

1. What is the purpose of providing feedback on practice exercises?

The purpose of providing feedback on practice exercises is to help individuals improve their understanding and performance of a particular skill or concept. Feedback allows individuals to identify their strengths and weaknesses and make necessary adjustments to their learning process.

2. How often should feedback be given on practice exercises?

The frequency of providing feedback on practice exercises depends on the individual's learning needs and the complexity of the task. Generally, feedback should be given regularly to ensure that individuals are on the right track and to prevent any misunderstandings or incorrect habits from forming.

3. What are the elements of effective feedback on practice exercises?

Effective feedback on practice exercises should be specific, timely, and actionable. It should also provide both positive reinforcement for what was done well and constructive criticism for areas that need improvement. Additionally, feedback should be tailored to the individual's learning style and goals.

4. How can I use feedback on practice exercises to improve my learning?

To use feedback on practice exercises to improve your learning, it is important to actively engage with the feedback and reflect on how you can apply it to your learning process. It can also be beneficial to seek clarification or ask for additional feedback if needed. Additionally, setting specific goals and tracking your progress can help you see how feedback is helping you improve.

5. Can feedback on practice exercises be negative?

Yes, feedback on practice exercises can be negative, but it should always be constructive. Negative feedback should focus on specific areas for improvement and provide suggestions for how to address them. It should not be personal attacks or demotivating, but rather helpful and encouraging in the pursuit of improvement.