Feedback and equilibrium between black holes and galaxies

In summary: This pseudo equilibrium is not the same as the equilibrium between the central supermassive black hole and the galaxy it resides in. The equilibrium between the two is much more complex and dependent on a variety of other factors. In this more chaotic universe, stars would be randomly distributed and would not be limited by the availability of gas and dust.This pseudo equilibrium is not the same as the equilibrium between the central supermassive black hole and the galaxy it resides in. The equilibrium between the two is much more complex and dependent on a variety of other factors. In this more chaotic universe, stars would be randomly distributed and would not be limited by the availability of gas and dust.
Tanelorn
"The supermassive black hole is sucking interstellar gas, but at the same time it is affecting the star-formation history of the galaxy with its powerful winds," Tombesi said. "Astrophysicists describe this process as a feedback between the central supermassive black hole and the galaxy, which on very long timescales regulates their co-evolution."

http://news.yahoo.com/black-hole-winds-quench-star-formation-entire-galaxies-183105298.htmlI received a warning from someone here about two years ago after asking if control systems theory, feedback, and equilibrium could be at play in situations like the above. So I felt stupid and shut up. Today I learned it is actually thought about in this way. Thanks.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Yeah. I think it's largely suspected now that the behavior of the supermassive black hole in the center of a galaxy is largely what determines the galaxy's fate: whether it becomes an elliptical or spiral galaxy.

Likes Tanelorn
Seems to me that many things in this Universe are based in some way or other on spheres, orbits and equilibrium, now also at the Galactic scale.
I wonder if the next size up will be found to be also..

Tanelorn said:
Seems to me that many things in this Universe are based in some way or other on spheres, orbits and equilibrium, now also at the Galactic scale.
I wonder if the next size up will be found to be also..
Well, those are very general terms that don't have a whole lot of meaning. Galaxies are horrifically complicated, and astrophysicists really have a lot to learn when it comes to how galaxies form and evolve.

There really isn't a complete equilibrium, for example. It's more of a pseudo-equilibrium. Galaxies tend towards spiral or elliptical shapes over time depending upon their dust composition, but there are also more complicated configurations such as barred spirals or spirals with a central bulge (which is sort of a hybrid between a spiral and an elliptical).

There are lots of interesting questions here, questions that are really hard to answer. For instance, many physicists think that the rate of star formation determines quite a lot about the future evolution of a galaxy, because a high rate of star formation means lots of supernovae, and supernovae can blast matter away to tremendous distances.

Likes Tanelorn
Thanks Chalnoth. I agree that galaxies are extremely complicated structures with many different processes affecting their structure and development. I also agree that there is a pseudo equilibrium in place between these many processes bringing stability and order during their evolution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy

Contrast the above structure and order to a possible Universe where stars are distributed everywhere evenly and roam around at random like molecules in a gas.

Last edited:

Related to Feedback and equilibrium between black holes and galaxies

1. What is the relationship between black holes and galaxies?

The relationship between black holes and galaxies is complex and still not fully understood. However, it is believed that black holes play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. They are thought to be responsible for regulating the growth of galaxies through a process known as feedback.

2. How does feedback between black holes and galaxies work?

Feedback is a process in which the energy and materials released by a black hole affect the surrounding gas and stars in a galaxy. This can happen in two ways - through radiation and through outflows of matter. Radiation from the black hole can heat up and ionize the gas in a galaxy, while outflows can push gas away from the center of the galaxy, preventing it from falling into the black hole and also regulating star formation.

3. Why is feedback important for understanding the evolution of galaxies?

Feedback is important because it helps to explain some of the observed properties of galaxies, such as their size, shape, and the number of stars they contain. Without feedback, galaxies would continue to grow and form stars at an unsustainable rate, leading to much larger and more massive galaxies than we see today. Feedback is also believed to be responsible for the correlation between the mass of a galaxy's central black hole and the mass of its bulge of stars.

4. Are there different types of feedback between black holes and galaxies?

Yes, there are two main types of feedback - positive and negative. Positive feedback occurs when the energy and materials released by a black hole encourage the formation of more stars in a galaxy. Negative feedback, on the other hand, regulates star formation by preventing gas from falling into the black hole and also pushing gas away from the center of the galaxy.

5. How do scientists study the feedback and equilibrium between black holes and galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the feedback and equilibrium between black holes and galaxies. These include observations from telescopes that detect different wavelengths of light, computer simulations of galaxy formation, and theoretical models. By combining these approaches, scientists can better understand the complex relationship between black holes and galaxies and how it affects the evolution of the universe.