Features of series and parallel combination of resistors

In summary, when resistors are connected in series, the current flows through each resistor in the same path and the potential difference across each resistor is directly proportional to its resistance. In a parallel combination, the potential difference across each resistor is equal and the total current is the sum of the individual currents. The utilities of these combinations include increasing resistance by connecting resistors in series and decreasing resistance by connecting them in parallel.
agnibho

Homework Statement

Give the features and the utilities of the series and parallel combination of resistors.

The Attempt at a Solution

Series combination:-
(i)The current has a single path for its flow.Hence the same current passes through each resistor and so the potential difference across any resistor is directly proportional to its resistance.
(ii)The potential difference across the entire circuit is equal to the sum of potential differences across the individual resistor.i.e.,
V = V1+V2+V3+...
Parallel combination :-
(i)The potential difference across each resistor is the same(=Va-Vb=V,say) which is the equal to the potential difference across the terminals of the battery(or source)
(ii)The current in a resistor is inversely proportional to its resistance. The sum of currents in the separate branches of the parallel circuit drawn from the source.i.e., I=I1+I2+I3+...

These are the features I managed. However I would like to know the utilities of these two combinations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which would you use to a) increase resistance and b) decrease resistance?

Related to Features of series and parallel combination of resistors

1. What are the main differences between series and parallel combination of resistors?

The main difference between series and parallel combination of resistors is the way in which they are connected. In a series circuit, resistors are connected one after another, while in a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side by side. This affects the overall resistance, current flow, and voltage distribution in the circuit.

2. How does the total resistance in a series circuit compare to that of a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance.

3. What is the effect of adding resistors in series or parallel?

Adding resistors in series increases the overall resistance of the circuit. This means that less current will flow through the circuit. In contrast, adding resistors in parallel decreases the overall resistance of the circuit, allowing more current to flow.

4. How does the voltage distribution differ in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the resistors. This means that each resistor will have a portion of the total voltage across it. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each resistor, as they are connected directly to the same voltage source.

5. What happens if one resistor in a series or parallel circuit fails?

In a series circuit, if one resistor fails, the entire circuit will stop working as there is only one path for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, if one resistor fails, the current will still be able to flow through the other resistors, but the total resistance of the circuit will increase, resulting in a decrease in current flow.