Favored products (really a conceptual) question

• Thread starter JeffEvarts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation discusses the reactions that can occur between sulfuric acid and sodium chloride, and the factors that influence the outcome. These factors include the stoichiometry of the reactants, entropy, energy level, and input energy. The conversation also poses two questions: how to determine the favored product and how to arrange conditions for a specific product. The answer is not something that can be easily explained on a forum, but generally involves understanding the details and predicting the outcome.
JeffEvarts
Bear with me, please. My knowledge of Gibbs, bond formation, entropy and enthalpy is weak, and I think they're needed to figure this out.

Suppose I have "some" sulfuric acid and "some" salt, and I mix them. At least two reactions are possible:

H2SO4 + NaCl -> Na2SO4 + HCl
H2SO4 + NaCl -> NaHSO4 + HCl​

(I have intentionally left out coefficients) the stochiochemistry of the inputs does not (necessarily) determine the outcome: an excess of one reagent might pass unreacted through to the end of the equation, leaving either one a legitimate outcome.

So we have several forces warring with one another:
1) The stochiochemistry of the reactants
2) Entropy
3) The "energy level" of the sulfate vs bisulfate
4) The input energy (heat)​

So two questions:
1) How do I know what product will be favored under what conditions? vs
2) How do I arrange conditions such that a particular product will be favored?​

Thanks kindly for any insight.
-Jeff

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
remember that sodium hydroxide is NaOH and sodium chloride is NaCl

Fixed.

*) looks like sulphuric acid reacts with solid sodium chloride in low temperature to produce hydrogen chloride and sodium hydrogensulphate

*)The reaction can also yield [tex]Na_2SO_4[/tex] with concentrated sulfuric acid (and/or eventually [tex]Cl_2(g))[/tex]

*)
[tex]Na_2SO_4(aq) + H_2SO_4(aq) <=> 2NaHSO_4(aq) [/tex]
In fact, the equilibrium is complex, depending on concentration and temperature...

janhaa said:
looks like sulphuric acid reacts with solid sodium chloride in low temperature to produce hydrogen chloride and sodium hydrogensulphate
Sodium hydrogensulfate is another name for sodium bisulfate, as in equation 2 in the initial post. So, yes! It is one of the possible products.

janhaa said:
Na2SO4(aq) + H2SO4(aq) <=> 2NaHSO4(aq)
In fact, the equilibrium is complex, depending on concentration and temperature...
Precisely. Which is why I asked:

JeffEvarts said:
1) How do I know what product will be favored under what conditions? and
2) How do I arrange conditions such that a particular product will be favored?
Is there something I can do to make my questions more clear, or frame them more carefully?

-Jeff

Technically all chemistry one learns throughout whole course (doesn't matter whether it is a HS level, or graduate) is about understanding all details to be able to predict reaction outcome - so the answer to your question is not something for a random forum thread :wink:

To make sulfuric acid react with sodium chloride you generally need solid NaCl and concentrated acid, otherwise you will end with a solution containing all possible ions. All involved substances are well soluble, both acids are strong and 100% dissociated (HSO4- is weaker, but it doesn't change the outcome by much). So the only way of getting the reaction going is to not use water to avoid dissolution and dissociation. That will also allow gaseous HCl to run away, shifting the equilibrium to the right (you may think about it as an entropic element).

Borek said:
Technically all chemistry one learns throughout whole course (doesn't matter whether it is a HS level, or graduate) is about understanding all details to be able to predict reaction outcome - so the answer to your question is not something for a random forum thread

Admin Borek, thank you kindly for this reply. Sometimes the only (real) answer is "That's a hard problem".

-Jeff Evarts

Related to Favored products (really a conceptual) question

What is a "favored product" in the context of science?

A "favored product" in the context of science is a product or concept that is widely accepted and preferred by the scientific community. It is typically backed by strong evidence and has been extensively studied and verified.

How are favored products determined in science?

Favored products in science are typically determined through rigorous experimentation and data analysis. Scientists use the scientific method to test hypotheses and gather evidence to support their claims. Favored products are those that have been consistently supported by multiple studies and have withstood scrutiny from the scientific community.

Can favored products change over time?

Yes, favored products in science can change over time as new evidence and technologies become available. Just because a product was once considered favored does not mean it will always be the case. As our understanding of the natural world evolves, so does our understanding of which products are favored.

Why are favored products important in science?

Favored products are important in science because they represent our current understanding of the natural world. They serve as the foundation for further research and advancements in the field. Favored products also help scientists make informed decisions and guide their work towards meaningful discoveries.

What happens if a favored product is proven wrong?

If a favored product is proven wrong, it is either revised or replaced with a new product that better fits the available evidence. This is a normal and necessary part of the scientific process, as it allows for our understanding to continually improve and adapt to new information.