Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Favicon image?

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

If you use bookmarks, tabs or probably lots of other way I don't know of you see a tiny image called an favicon. Right now it's the standard vBulletin "V" shape. I want to change it but the MHB logo is too much to compress to that size. It's won't look like anything and same with any new logo we use. It needs to be simple, clear and math related as well as something we can associate with from now on.

Ideas?

Jameson

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
How about an integral sign?

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Let's try it!

EDIT: Uploaded a triple integral. Doesn't look great but it's a start. I'll change it soon to something better.

Last edited:

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
The first step to improving the icon would be to make the background transparent instead of white. The following image is from my Firefox tab, and you can see a white square around the integral.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
On second thought, maybe transparent background suits colored icons with pictures, such as Twitter
and Yahoo
, but white background is good for characters, e.g., Wikipedia

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
As you've noticed I put up the triple integral image with a transparent background, which isn't really working. This weekend I will be working with someone who is good with graphic design and get a new favicon image done and hopefully get a new forum logo.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Question: how do you force a browser to refresh favicon images? I have never seen anything but the vBulletin image. I've tried deleting the favorite link and re-bookmarking it, but that didn't work. Do I delete them, clear the cache, and then bookmark?

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Question: how do you force a browser to refresh favicon images? I have never seen anything but the vBulletin image. I've tried deleting the favorite link and re-bookmarking it, but that didn't work. Do I delete them, clear the cache, and then bookmark?
Mine update automatically. Try clearing the cache I suppose. Anyone else not seeing the favicon image? :confused:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Mine update automatically. Try clearing the cache I suppose. Anyone else not seeing the favicon image? :confused:
Cleared everything. I still don't see them in IE9. Chrome doesn't do any better.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I see triple integral favicon on the tab in Chrome but not in the address bar. But www.google.com does not show a favicon in the address bar either, only on the tab. Firefox, on the other hand, shows the icon both on the tab and in the address bar.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I am seeing the favicon in the address bar (Mac Snow leopard; Safari). But I notice that the line of html code which implements it reads

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="./images/misc/favicon2.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

When I am designing web pages, I use the form <link rel="icon" href="xxx.png" type="image/png" />. This seems to work on all browsers, with a .png graphic of size 16 pixels square.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Problem identified: I was using the Default Style. When I switched to MHB Style, I see the favicon image. I also saw the no thread titles.