What is the fatigue limit for copper pipe with a factor of safety of 5?

• A
  • Thread starter MysticDream
  • Start date
MysticDream
TL;DR Summary
Trying to estimate the fatigue limit for very low stress.
I’m wanting to estimate the fatigue limit for copper piping that has a factor of safety of about 5 (yield FOS). All I can find online is graphs of curves that go to about 100 million cycles, but I need more. Obviously for these materials that don’t have a distinct fatigue limit like steel, the slope of the curve goes more horizontal as stress levels decrease, but I want to know what the slope is up to a billion cycles if possible. This piping will be subjected to external gas pressure cycles of 300 cycles per min, 24/7. That means after one year, it will have gone through about 157,680,000 cycles. I need to have a reasonable estimate of how long these would be in service before they fail from fatigue. If anyone has any insight into this, I’d greatly appreciate any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think electrical conductors see 50 Hz continuously (in UK at least) for many decades. Perhaps there is some data about any mechanical degradation evidenced from this. How big is the pressure and the pipe?

Likes MysticDream
hutchphd said:
I would think electrical conductors see 50 Hz continuously (in UK at least) for many decades. Perhaps there is some data about any mechanical degradation evidenced from this. How big is the pressure and the pipe?
Yeah, that’s a good point, but that max stress is probably way lower than the max stress in my design with a FOS of 5. Electrical conductors probably have a FOS of 100 or more given that the stress it’s subjected to is so small.

The pipe is .625” OD with a wall of .028”. The min and max external pressure in the cycle is from 300 to 350 psi. An FEA showed a yield FOS around 5 for that max pressure of 350.

1. What is the fatigue limit for copper pipe?

The fatigue limit for copper pipe varies depending on the specific type and grade of copper, as well as the conditions it is subjected to. However, a commonly used value is 50% of the ultimate tensile strength of the copper pipe.

2. What does a factor of safety of 5 mean?

A factor of safety of 5 means that the maximum stress the copper pipe can withstand before failure is 5 times lower than the fatigue limit. This provides a safety margin to account for any unexpected variations or uncertainties in the loading conditions.

3. How is the fatigue limit determined for copper pipe?

The fatigue limit for copper pipe can be determined through fatigue testing, where the pipe is subjected to repeated loading cycles until failure occurs. The number of cycles required to cause failure is then used to calculate the fatigue limit.

4. Can the fatigue limit for copper pipe change over time?

Yes, the fatigue limit for copper pipe can change over time due to various factors such as corrosion, material degradation, and changes in loading conditions. Regular inspections and maintenance can help identify any changes in the fatigue limit.

5. Is a factor of safety of 5 sufficient for copper pipe?

A factor of safety of 5 is a commonly used value for copper pipe and is generally considered to be sufficient for most applications. However, in certain high-risk or critical situations, a higher factor of safety may be recommended.