Faster than speed of light = time travel ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of traveling faster than the speed of light and the possibility of time travel. It is mentioned that if one can travel faster than the speed of light, they may also be able to travel back in time. However, this is a hasty conclusion and the exact details of how FTL travel would work in reality are still unknown. The conversation also brings up the idea of FTL travel in a Minkowski spacetime and how it may affect causality.
collector
This is my first post so let me know if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I read somewhere that if we are ever able to travel faster than the speed of light that fact would automatically enable us to travel back in time. I don't see how those two things are connected. Even if we travel faster than the speed of light, say 1.5c, we would still be traveling at a finite speed.
Is this true, or did I misunderstand it when I read it? How does it work?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can travel faster than the speed of light in some reference frame (like the earth), there is always a different reference frame where this journey goes backwards in time.
You would go backwards in time for some, not for all observers. If you turn around and go backwards (again faster than the speed of light, for some reference frame), you can get back to Earth before you started. That is time travel for all observers.

I am sure we have a detailed description somewhere in the forum.

Does the observer on Earth also see the person arrive before he leaves?

All reference frames will see the arrival before the departure.

This is like an FTL guy who checks into a hotel and the clerk says I'm sorry you don't have a reservation and then checks again oh there you it just came in.

So say you had a line of people (all stationary with respect to the planets) between Earth and some other planet and you let a faster-than-light spaceship fly next to the line. It would go from Earth to the other planet and then back again. What would the people observe? Let's say that the spaceship takes some time accelerate to it's top speed.

collector said:
I read somewhere that if we are ever able to travel faster than the speed of light that fact would automatically enable us to travel back in time.

I think that's a hasty conclusion. We don't really know what would happen, but we will find out when the first FTL travel is observed.

collector said:
So say you had a line of people (all stationary with respect to the planets) between Earth and some other planet and you let a faster-than-light spaceship fly next to the line. It would go from Earth to the other planet and then back again. What would the people observe? Let's say that the spaceship takes some time accelerate to it's top speed.
That depends on details of the journey, but a backwards-moving spaceship would be a possible observation.

Ookke said:
I think that's a hasty conclusion. We don't really know what would happen, but we will find out when the first FTL travel is observed.
Well, we can give up causality, and ask how FTL travel in a Minkowski spacetime (=the framework of special relativity) would look like.

Related to Faster than speed of light = time travel ?

1. What does it mean to travel faster than the speed of light?

Traveling faster than the speed of light refers to exceeding the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is currently considered impossible according to our current understanding of physics.

2. Can someone actually travel faster than the speed of light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for an object with mass to travel faster than the speed of light. The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach or surpass the speed of light.

3. Does traveling faster than the speed of light mean time travel is possible?

No, traveling faster than the speed of light does not necessarily mean time travel is possible. While theories such as wormholes and the Alcubierre drive propose ways to potentially travel faster than the speed of light, the concept of time travel is still highly debated and has not been proven.

4. What are the implications of faster than light travel on the concept of time?

If faster than light travel were possible, it would challenge our current understanding of time. According to the theory of relativity, time slows down as an object approaches the speed of light, so if an object were to exceed the speed of light, it would theoretically travel backwards in time. However, this is still considered a theoretical concept and has not been proven.

5. Is there any scientific evidence of objects traveling faster than the speed of light?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence of objects traveling faster than the speed of light. While some experiments have shown particles appearing to travel faster than light, these results have been refuted and are believed to be due to experimental error. Additionally, the laws of physics prevent objects with mass from reaching or exceeding the speed of light.