Faster-than-light newbie question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of traveling faster than the speed of light and the concept of relativity. It is determined that while it may seem like one is traveling faster than light from their own perspective, it is not possible to actually exceed the speed of light due to relativistic speed addition laws. The concept of tachyons, which are hypothetical particles that travel faster than light, is also mentioned but they have never been observed.
Mephedr0ne
i'm on a ship traveling 1mph less than light speed, i decide to run the length of the ship in the direction we're travelling, let's say 10mph running speed.

can i do this? or will the light-speed barrier prevent me from moving faster than 1mph?

i know relative to the ship I'm moving at 10mph, but relative to any point in space behind the ship its now lightspeed + 9mph.

Physics news on Phys.org
you haft to use loretnz transformations , you can't just add the speeds like that , And yes you can't break the light barrier .

Mephedr0ne said:
i know relative to the ship I'm moving at 10mph, but relative to any point in space behind the ship its now lightspeed + 9mph.

No, it's not. Look up relativistic "velocity addition." For example:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/einvel.html

Mephedr0ne said:

But in order for the point behind the ship to be relative, your speed would not be invariantly 10mph

Someone standing still on your ship will observe you traveling at 10mph. To you, you will observe yourself moving at 10mph because the floor will be moving at 10mph.

To someone stationary outside the ship, who sees the ship traveling at 0.99c, will see you travel at 0.99c + a little bit, but not greater than c (due to lorentz transformation).

While you are running on your ship (which is traveling at 0.99c) you shine a light in the direction of motion, you will see the light come out of the torch at c, not 1.99c. The person who is outside of your ship will also observe light to come out of the torch at c, not 1.99c.

To the original poster, the "inconsistency" you describe is exactly what Einstein pondered too. It's why he came up with his theory. It's without his theory that you have the apparent contradiction you ask about.

I think a good questions here is, can we measure speeds higher than the speed of light?

thread mark said:
I think a good questions here is, can we measure speeds higher than the speed of light?
Yes you can. You could for example sweep a laser pointer across the surface of the Moon from the Earth and the spot of light on the moon could be traveling faster than the speed of light. The important thing to note is that no information or energy is transported faster than light by doing this. No one has ever observed a material object or energy or information being transmitted faster than the speed of light, but in principle if an object did travel faster than light we could easily measure it. Tachyons are hypothetical particles that can travel faster than light and they are constrained to always move faster than the speed of light which is their minimum speed. Tachyons have never been observed and it seems that if they do exist, that nature prevents them from interacting with normal particles in our universe and are undetectable. If tachyons were detectable they would violate causality.

Mephedr0ne said:
i'm on a ship traveling 1mph less than light speed, i decide to run the length of the ship in the direction we're travelling, let's say 10mph running speed.

can i do this? or will the light-speed barrier prevent me from moving faster than 1mph?

There are many ways to crack this nut. One may work for you. Here is another way to look at it:

You recall that relativistic velocities result in time dilation, right? Moving at 1mph below lightspeed you are traveling at (let's call it) .9999999c. At that speed, you are dilated by a factor of more than 2000. You are aging 2000 times slower in your spaceship than anyone on Earth. It means that Earth, while watching you whiz by at .9999999c, looks in a window at sees you running in very slow motion; i.e. it will take you days to reach the front of your spaceshjip. Measuring your progress, they see you moving at .9999999c + 10/2000ths mph, which is still less than c.

You can use whatever numbers you want, but the closer your spaceship gets to c, the more your frame of reference within it is dilated, slowing you, such that your total progress will never add up to c.

Mephedr0ne said:

According to the principle of relativity, you can of course do this.

The rest system of a ship traveling with a constant speed is an inertial coordinate system which can by no experiment be distinguished from any other inertial system. So, you can do your walk there just the same way as in the case of your ship resting.

However, relativistic speed addition laws will make sure, that there is no inertial system where your relative speed will be measured as equal or larger c (speed of light in vacuum).

yuiop said:
Yes you can. You could for example sweep a laser pointer across the surface of the Moon from the Earth and the spot of light on the moon could be traveling faster than the speed of light. The important thing to note is that no information or energy is transported faster than light by doing this. No one has ever observed a material object or energy or information being transmitted faster than the speed of light, but in principle if an object did travel faster than light we could easily measure it. Tachyons are hypothetical particles that can travel faster than light and they are constrained to always move faster than the speed of light which is their minimum speed. Tachyons have never been observed and it seems that if they do exist, that nature prevents them from interacting with normal particles in our universe and are undetectable. If tachyons were detectable they would violate causality.

I was referring to a type of technology that can detect speeds past the light barrier. But tools can include moons I guise. Velocity of the moon away from the beem plus the speed of light.

thread mark said:
I was referring to a type of technology that can detect speeds past the light barrier. But tools can include moons I guise. Velocity of the moon away from the beem plus the speed of light.

This doesn't make sense.

Are you talking about a massive body receding at relativistic velocities, and a beam of light being sent ahead of it? That beam of light will be observed to be moving at c from all reference frames.

Mephedr0ne said:

Yes and no. :smile:

According to relativity you cannot go as fast as light.

1. Suppose that you define the speed of your ship relative to the Earth and you track your speed with a very precise GPS tracker. Then you'll find that you're by far not walking 1mph faster than the ship; instead you may be shocked to see that you hardly advance in the ship. You'll not achieve lightspeed at all, let alone lightspeed + 9 mph.

2. Suppose that you set up an independent measurement system in your ship. Then you may be able to run 10mph in your ship, as measured with that system. However, your system measures the speed of your ship to be 0mph, and it measures light to move at the usual speed of light with respect to it. You will again not find yourself going at lightspeed + 9mph, instead you will find yourself to go at 10mph.

Harald

harrylin said:
...instead you may be shocked to see that you hardly advance in the ship. You'll not achieve lightspeed at all, let alone lightspeed + 9 mph.
Yes. But you have not explained how this could be.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. But you have not explained how this could be.

Indeed I did not, Mephedr0ne didn't ask for that.

thread mark said:
There is no reason why we would not be able to detect an object moving at greater than C. If an object with a beacon on it quickly accelerated away from you to a speed much greater than C, you'd be able to watch it leave - just as you can hear an object moving away from you at greater than the speed of sound. Heck, that's how we measure the expansion of the universe at high redshifts!

You didn't really specify, but we would also not have any problem watching an object going around a circular track at greater than C (for example, in a particle accelerator), simply measuring the time from emission to hitting a detector.

Related to Faster-than-light newbie question

What is faster-than-light travel?

Faster-than-light (FTL) travel is a theoretical method of transportation that would allow an object to exceed the speed of light. This is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics.

Why is faster-than-light travel important?

FTL travel is important because it could potentially allow us to explore the universe at a much faster rate and reach distant locations that would otherwise be impossible to reach within a reasonable time frame. It could also have significant implications for space exploration and colonization.

Is faster-than-light travel possible?

At the moment, there is no scientific evidence or technology that suggests FTL travel is possible. The theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and verified, states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel.

What are the consequences of faster-than-light travel?

If FTL travel were possible, it would have significant consequences for our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could also have potential consequences for time travel and causality, as traveling faster than the speed of light could potentially allow someone to travel back in time.

Are there any current research or experiments on faster-than-light travel?

While there have been some proposals and theories about FTL travel, there is currently no active research or experiments being conducted. Scientists continue to explore and study the laws of physics to better understand the possibility of faster-than-light travel, but at this time, it remains purely theoretical.