Faster than Light? Exploring X-Ray Reflection

In summary, the refractive index for X-rays in materials is slightly less than 1, which has caused confusion for some individuals. This does not necessarily mean that X-rays travel faster than the speed of light in vacuum or air. The index of refraction is related to the phase velocity, which is not a physically meaningful concept, and the group velocity is likely less than c. However, there are exceptions in regions of anomalous dispersion, where a "signal velocity" must be introduced. Additionally, it has been noted that the speed of light can also be slowed when passing through the 6th state of matter, Bose-Einstein condensates.
manesh
Faster than c!

hi
I read that the refractive index(n) for X-rays in meterials are less than 1(very little less than 1). I got confused ..I am using X-ray reflection at the moment. But I am not convinced by the fact that n<1 means faster than c(velocity of light in vacuum or in air)!
hope somebody can explain the contradiction :wink:
cheers
Manesh

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked this up over the net and ka-boom! the refractive index of x-rays is slightly less than 1. So could this mean that when x-rays undergo refraction they travel faster than 3x10^8?

What material is this by the way that refractive index is slightly less than one?

Oh and I just thought that I would bring this up, c can also be slowed to 38mph when passed through the 6th state of matter - bose einstein condensates.

EIRE2003 said:
I looked this up over the net and ka-boom! the refractive index of x-rays is slightly less than 1. So could this mean that when x-rays undergo refraction they travel faster than 3x10^8?

What material is this by the way that refractive index is slightly less than one?

Oh and I just thought that I would bring this up, c can also be slowed to 38mph when passed through the 6th state of matter - bose einstein condensates.

The index of refraction is related to the phase velocity which, in some sense, is not a physically meaningful concept (it would require a wave of definite wavelength, hence of infinite extent). What matters for the propagation of wavepackets is the group velocity, which is probably less than c (I say probably because there are exceptions to that statement too, in regions of anomaloous dispersion, in which case one must introduce a so-called "signal velocity" )

Pat

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=52570

Related to Faster than Light? Exploring X-Ray Reflection

What is faster than light?

Faster than light is a term used to describe any object or particle that is able to travel at a speed greater than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

Is it possible to travel faster than light?

According to the current laws of physics, it is not possible for anything with mass to travel faster than the speed of light. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible to exceed the speed of light by bending space-time or using other methods that have yet to be discovered.

What is X-ray reflection?

X-ray reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when X-rays, which are a type of electromagnetic radiation, are directed at a surface and are reflected off of it. This reflection produces a pattern of peaks and valleys, known as an X-ray diffraction pattern, which can be used to determine the structure of the surface.

How does X-ray reflection help us explore faster than light objects?

X-ray reflection allows us to study the structure and composition of objects that are moving at speeds close to or exceeding the speed of light. By analyzing the X-ray diffraction patterns produced by these objects, we can learn more about their properties and behavior.

What are the potential applications of X-ray reflection in faster than light exploration?

X-ray reflection has many potential applications in the exploration of faster than light objects. It can be used to study the structure of these objects, detect their presence, and even potentially communicate with them. It may also help us to develop new technologies and methods for traveling at speeds close to or exceeding the speed of light.