Faster than light communication

In summary, the speed of sound in a solid rod is much slower than the speed of light, so pushing one end of a rod will not cause instantaneous movement at the other end. This also applies to rods extending between two space stations, as the speed of sound is still much slower than the speed of light. This means that using a rod for communication would not be faster than using light.
Yapper
Say I have a solid rod of steel and I push one end, does the other end move near instantaneously?

As an extreme, say I had a solid rod extending from two space stations very far apart, if I pushed the rod perfectly perpendicular to the face of the rod, would the time difference between when I pushed the rod and when the other end of the rod moved be less then it would take a beam of light to travel between stations(faster than light communication)? I know there is stretching and compressing that would occur but still...

This might be a stupid question, but I just thought about it and wanted to get an answer?

Science news on Phys.org
Any impulse you send through any rod will travel at the speed of sound in that rod. While that may be thousands of miles per hour, its well below the speed of light.

I thought that would be the case, oh well. Thanks for the assistance

Related to Faster than light communication

1. How is faster than light communication possible?

Faster than light communication is currently not possible according to the laws of physics. The speed of light, 299,792,458 meters per second, is considered the maximum speed at which information can travel. This is due to the theory of relativity, which states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

2. Is there any evidence of faster than light communication?

No, there is currently no evidence of faster than light communication. Scientists have conducted experiments and observations, but all have shown that the speed of light is the fastest possible speed for communication. Any claims of faster than light communication have been debunked and are not accepted by the scientific community.

3. How would faster than light communication impact our society?

If it were possible, faster than light communication would have a huge impact on our society. It would greatly improve communication and information sharing, allowing us to send messages and data to faraway places in a matter of seconds. It could also potentially revolutionize space exploration and open up new possibilities for interstellar travel.

4. Can faster than light communication be achieved through technology?

As of now, there is no known technology that can achieve faster than light communication. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with new technologies that could potentially challenge the speed of light and allow for faster communication. But until then, it remains a theoretical concept.

5. Are there any potential risks or consequences of faster than light communication?

If faster than light communication were to become a reality, there could be potential risks and consequences. It could lead to the misuse of information and the potential for security breaches. It could also have unforeseen effects on the laws of physics and our understanding of the universe. Therefore, thorough research and consideration would be necessary before attempting to achieve faster than light communication.