Can 11D Space Crumple Into 3D Universe and Create Wormholes?

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, the Cartan subgroup of SL(2,C) is the group of all matrices with a negative main diagonal.
phoenixthoth
nash proved that any manifold can be embedded in R^3 in which the higher dimensional manifold gets crumpled and smoothness is lost.

is it possible that 11 dimensional space has already crumpled into our three dimensional universe and that wormholes exist precisely as a direct result of the crumpling?

cheers,
phoenix

Physics news on Phys.org
there was a big embedding theorem by nash, which is the one you're talking about, and a small embedding theorem, which is the one I'm talking about. it was mentioned in the "a beautiful mind," but i can't find the paper on the web.

cheers,
phoenix

i did a little more research and found this quote from nash's autobiographical essay for winning the nobel:

So as it happened, as soon as I heard in conversation at M.I.T. about the question of the embeddability being open I began to study it. The first break led to a curious result about the embeddability being realizable in surprisingly low-dimensional ambient spaces provided that one would accept that the embedding would have only limited smoothness. And later, with "heavy analysis", the problem was solved in terms of embeddings with a more proper degree of smoothness.

so again i ask this: is it possible that the higher dimensional space has either fully or partially collapsed in the three dimensional space and that the nonsmoothness has resulted in wormholes?

I repeat, no. An n-dimensional manifold cannot be embedded in an m-dimensional manifold for m < n.

a lot more

actually if you want a lorentzian metric in both manifold, the embedding rises, it needs a lot more of dimensions. About ninety or so, perhaps.

Originally posted by arivero
actually if you want a lorentzian metric in both manifold, the embedding rises, it needs a lot more of dimensions. About ninety or so, perhaps.

glad you are back, long time no see
I need to know the Cartan subgroup of SL(2,C)
(I am told there is just one and I suspect it is
the diagonal matrices but am not sure)

Originally posted by marcus
glad you are back, long time no see
I need to know the Cartan subgroup of SL(2,C)
(I am told there is just one and I suspect it is
the diagonal matrices but am not sure)

Hi!

I am back just on a errand for nuclear data. I am afraid I can not confirm your guess -it seems a good one- without browsing across manuals :-( Two years teaching computer science and you see, one loses the training.

In the Archive section of this forum I just posted what I think is the Weyl group of SL(2,C). These are new ideas for me, they seem nice

I think the normalizer of the (main) diagonal matrices in SL(2,C) consists of the union of the major and minor diagonal matrices

and then N(H)/H the Weyl group comes down to Z_2

which just flips the diagonal matrix to the other direction--major to minor and viceversa, but there is a minus sign in there too

you can't fool me, you have not gotten all that rusty by teaching computer science. it could even give you ideas

1. What is 11D space and how does it differ from our 3D universe?

11D space refers to a hypothetical space with 11 dimensions, while our 3D universe only has three dimensions: length, width, and height. These extra dimensions are predicted by certain theories, such as string theory, but have not been observed or confirmed.

2. Can 11D space crumple into our 3D universe?

There is currently no evidence or scientific theory that suggests that 11D space can crumple into our 3D universe. In fact, the concept of "crumpling" implies a physical action, and dimensions are not physical objects that can be manipulated in this way.

3. Can 11D space create wormholes?

Wormholes, which are theoretical "shortcuts" through space-time, are often discussed in conjunction with 11D space. However, there is no evidence to suggest that 11D space can create wormholes. Some theories suggest that wormholes could exist in higher dimensions, but this is currently purely theoretical.

4. How does the concept of 11D space and wormholes relate to time travel?

Time travel is a popular topic in science fiction, but there is no scientific evidence to suggest that it is possible. Some theories, including those involving 11D space and wormholes, do suggest that time travel could be possible in certain circumstances. However, these remain unproven and highly speculative.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding 11D space and wormholes?

Currently, there are no practical applications for understanding 11D space or wormholes. These concepts are still purely theoretical and have not been proven or observed in any way. However, further research and understanding of these concepts could potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of the universe and how it functions.